Power on/off a GSM module, code problem

I am trying to build this instructable but using some different components. Instead of just the ATmega chip i put in a Arduino Pro mini.
I would like to alter the way the GSM module is powered but having trouble with the code. Whatever i try to do, can’t get it right. Original code:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/wdt.h>

#define power_pin 4                 //Pin used to power GSM module on and off.
#define config_switch_pin 7         //Pin to read configuration
#define SMS_waiting_threshold 45000 //How long the module will stay on after notification in order to receive potential configured number
#define SMS_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 15000 //The time that the program waits for a send acknowledgement of an SMS
#define batt_pin A0                 //Pin for battery level measurement
#define wake_pin 2                  //Pin used for waking up  

SoftwareSerial mySerial(8, 9); // RX, TX

String number = "+xxxxxxxxxxx"; //Set default number to call - in case none is programmed in the EEPROM yet
int start;                      //Variable used to start counting time for timeouts
String text;                    //Variable used for serial communication with the GSM module
float battery_level;

void setup()
{
  battery_level = ((analogRead(batt_pin) / 1024.0) * 5.0); //Measure battery level before we start consuming more power and scale it to 5V
  //Serial.begin(19200);
  mySerial.begin(19200);

pinMode(power_pin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(wake_pin, INPUT_PULLUP);        //We'll use internal pull-up resistors to simplify the breadboard layout
  pinMode(config_switch_pin, INPUT);
  attachInterrupt(0, wakeUpNow, HIGH);    //Use interrupt 0 (pin 2) and run function wakeUpNow when pin 2 gets LOW   

MCUSR = 0;                              //Pre-configure WDT
  number = get_number();                  //Obtain number from EEPROM

power_GSM(1);                           //Power up the GSM module

while (get_net_status()=="NC") {        //Check every 1 second if the GSM module has registered in the network
    //Serial.println(F("Waiting for GSM"));
    delay(1000);
  }

//Serial.println(get_net_status());     //Print network name that the GSM module has registered to

sendSMS();                              //Send the SMS with mail notification
  //receive_SMS();                        //You may need to call it once to configure SMS mode on your module. Make sure to uncomment the body as well.

start = millis();
}

void loop() {                             //This function will loop if the SPDT switch is set to config mode.
  text.reserve(100);                      //This saves memory on the micro
  text="";

while (mySerial.available()) {          //Message format is: +CMT: "+xxxxxxxxxxxx","", yy/mm/dd,12:"h:mm+ss"\r TEXT
    text.concat((char) (mySerial.read()));
  }

//if (text!="") {Serial.println(text);} //Print what arrived from the GSM module

mySerial.flush();                       //Wait for transmissions to finish

//while (Serial.available()) {          //Uncomment this if you want to be able to sent AT commands to your module in config mode
  //  mySerial.write(//Serial.read());
  //}

mySerial.flush();
  //Serial.flush();

if (text.indexOf("+CMT")!=-1) {                                                                       //New text message arrived
    //Serial.println("New config sms!");
    String msg = text.substring(text.lastIndexOf("\"")+3, text.length()-1);                             //Get message content
    msg.trim();
    String tel_number = text.substring(text.indexOf("\"")+1, text.indexOf("\"", text.indexOf("\"")+1)); //Get phone number
    tel_number.trim();

if ((msg.equals(String("PROGRAM"))) && (tel_number != number)) {                                    //The message contains content that programs a new phone number to be used for notifications
      program_number(tel_number);
    } else {
      //Serial.println("Unrecognized SMS");
      delay(1000);
    }
  }

if ((millis() - start > SMS_waiting_threshold) || digitalRead(config_switch_pin) == 0) { //If SPDT switch is not in config mode, go to sleep. Otherwise wait for timeout and then sleep. Before timeout the chip awaits for a new SMS and responds to AT commands over serial
    //Serial.println("Going to sleep");
    power_GSM(0);   //Power down the GSM module to save battery
    sleepNow();     //Sleep function called here 
  }    

delay(50);
}

I am trying to insert this:

void powerUp()
{
pinMode(7, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(7,HIGH);
delay(2000);
digitalWrite(7,LOW);
delay(3000);
}

Often getting the “‘SIM900power’ was not declared in this scope”
What am i doing wrong

I am trying to insert this

Where?

Often getting the “‘SIM900power’ was not declared in this scope”

Triggered from what line of code?

What am i doing wrong

Not using punctuation.
Not posting the code that code that causes the problem.
Not posting complete error messages.

Sorry, you are right. Quite new to this and i am reading and trying.

I tried many things but this is the last version.
The #define powerpin from the original should be removed i guess but it exits before that one brings me in trouble:

exit status 1
‘SIM900power’ was not declared in this scope

#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/wdt.h>
#include <call.h>
#include <gps.h>
#include <GSM.h>
#include <HWSerial.h>
#include <LOG.h>
#include <SIM900.h>
#include <sms.h>
#include <WideTextFinder.h>

#define power_pin 4                 //Pin used to power GSM module on and off.
#define config_switch_pin 7         //Pin to read configuration
#define SMS_waiting_threshold 45000 //How long the module will stay on after notification in order to receive potential configured number
#define SMS_TIMEOUT_THRESHOLD 15000 //The time that the program waits for a send acknowledgement of an SMS
#define batt_pin A0                 //Pin for battery level measurement
#define wake_pin 2                  //Pin used for waking up  

String number = "+xxxxxxxxxxxxx"; //Set default number to call - in case none is programmed in the EEPROM yet
int start;                      //Variable used to start counting time for timeouts
String text;                    //Variable used for serial communication with the GSM module
float battery_level;

void setup()
{
  battery_level = ((analogRead(batt_pin) / 1024.0) * 5.0); //Measure battery level before we start consuming more power and scale it to 5V
  //Serial.begin(19200);
  mySerial.begin(19200);
  SIM900power();  
  delay(20000);  // give time to log on to network. 

void SIM900power()
// software equivalent of pressing the GSM shield "power" button
{
  digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(4, LOW);
  delay(5000);
}

pinMode(wake_pin, INPUT_PULLUP);        //We'll use internal pull-up resistors to simplify the breadboard layout
  attachInterrupt(0, wakeUpNow, HIGH);    //Use interrupt 0 (pin 2) and run function wakeUpNow when pin 2 gets LOW   

power_GSM(1);                           //Power up the GSM module

while (get_net_status()=="NC") {        //Check every 1 second if the GSM module has registered in the network
    delay(1000);
  }

//Serial.println(get_net_status());     //Print network name that the GSM module has registered to

//receive_SMS();                        //You may need to call it once to configure SMS mode on your module. Make sure to uncomment the body as well.

start = millis();
}

void loop() {

Did some reading, reading and some more reading. Got rid of the earlier error.
It probably it’s all beginners errors but hey…the Instructable just didn’t look that difficult and i want it to work a bit cleaner than just hard power off/on the GSM module.

The error: exit status 1 expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token

I compared it to some other sketch examples but don’t see why its wrong:

#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/wdt.h>
#include <call.h>
#include <GSM.h>
#include <SIM900.h>
#include <sms.h>
#include <WideTextFinder.h>

#define power_pin 4
#define config_switch_pin 7         //Pin to read configuration
#define batt_pin A0                 //Pin for battery level measurement
#define wake_pin 2                  //Pin used for waking up  

String number = "+xxxxxxxxxxxx"; //Set default number to call - in case none is programmed in the EEPROM yet
int start;                      //Variable used to start counting time for timeouts
String text;                    //Variable used for serial communication with the GSM module
float battery_level;

void setup()
{
  //Serial.begin(19200);
  mySerial.begin(19200);
}

void SIM900power()                       // software equivalent of pressing the GSM shield "power" button
{ 
  digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(4, LOW);
  delay(5000);
}

pinMode(wake_pin, INPUT_PULLUP);        //We'll use internal pull-up resistors to simplify the breadboard layout
  attachInterrupt(0, wakeUpNow, HIGH);    //Use interrupt 0 (pin 2) and run function wakeUpNow when pin 2 gets LOW   

MCUSR = 0;                              //Pre-configure WDT
  number = get_number();                  //Obtain number from EEPROM

SIM900power();                          //Power up the GSM module
  [color=red]delay(20000);                           // give time to log on to network.[/color] 
}

while (get_net_status()=="NC") {        //Check every 1 second if the GSM module has registered in the network
    delay(1000);
  }

I tried to color the error red but that doesn't work, doh.... Almost at the end of the code at color=red.
(oooh the struggle)

Not even a little hint? :confused:

This works:

void setup()
{
  //Serial.begin(19200);
  mySerial.begin(19200);

SIM900power();                           //Power up the GSM module
  delay(20000);

delay(1000);
  }

start = millis();
}

void SIM900power()
{
  digitalWrite(4, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(4, LOW);
  delay(5000);
}

Now only find out if i place things in the right order....
Thx for all the kind help.