POWER PINS

Can you tell me if the pins:

RESET - 3V - 5V GND - Vin (on the board)

this ones 3V and 5V are INPUT or OUTPUT power?

Thank You

3V is an output from the USB / Serial chip. There is nothing out of this if you use external power. 5V is an output if you are plugged into a USB port or an external power jack. It is an input if there is no other power to the board and you are providing the board with a regulated supply. Reset is an input and an output. Pulling it low resets the board, but when the reset button is pressed this is pulled low.

3V is an output from the USB / Serial chip. There is nothing out of this if you use external power.

GM: Are you sure about that statement. The USB FTDI chip is still powered even if you are on external power, therefore it's internal 3.3vdc regulator output should still be active and available, no?

Lefty

GM: Are you sure about that statement. The USB FTDI chip is still powered even if you are on external power, therefore it's internal 3.3vdc regulator output should still be active and available, no?

? ( about that statment )

I Ask because that IMAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcuartielles/4584849194/sizes/l/

from a (-) battery connection going to to 5V pin and not to the GND?

The diagram is poorly illustrated (if not straight up wrong), a 9v battery powering the arduino should be connected across Vin and Gnd. 5v and 3.3 volts will be available on the 5V and 3.3V pins.

I just checked mine since there is some doubt, 3.3v is available on said pin when powered externally (through the DC jack).

3.3v is available on said pin when powered externally

Yes guys quite right. In my defense all I can say was I as rushing to get the train and banged off the answer in a hurry. Sorry