Power Strip Control - Arduino, Wifi, Alexa

Hi,

I am thinking of starting a home-wide project to reduce power consumption. For this, I think I should turn devices off that go into power-save mode. Manually turning them on and off seems to be a hassle. For example, I could easily have 10-12 devices in the TV cabinet however only 2-3 are in use at any one time. It would be great if I can turn the power off to other devices using Amazon Alexa (that I already have).

I know there are off-the-shelf power strips but they all seem to have 3-4 power points. I rather not have 3 different power strips if possible. I have a 10-point power strip that I would like to convert into smart strip using Arduino. Has anyone done such project? I have seen people controlling one device using Arduino but not a power strip.

I am good with electrical stuff; fairly new to Arduino (can do basic coding, a few sensors, LED strip etc.).

Thank you for any guidance.

Don't forget to factor the power consumption of your smart strips into your energy savings calculations. If you're doing this solely for the purpose of reducing power consumption, it may not end up being worth the effort and expense. If you will gain other benefits from the system (e.g. convenience), that may make it worthwhile.

DJDJDJDJ:
Has anyone done such project? I have seen people controlling one device using Arduino but not a power strip.

Many people have used Arduino for home automation. I'm sure you'll find tons of projects to use as references.

Thank you for your reply Pert. Main goal is to save energy. I am thinking if I can shutoff 4-6 devices, It will easily counter the usage I will have from the power strip itself and hopefully some additional saving. And of course, convenience would be a bonus. I can get a power strip with switched sockets but that's not very convenient and kids will probably never turn unused devices off.