Power supply connection question

I got a power supply off of ebay. First thing I did was chance the switch from 230V to 110V. I understand I need to use the AC(L) and Ac(N) terminals for the outlet power. However I don't quite know how to wire them. The plug that I have was cut from a broken toaster, one of the terminal ends is fatter than the other. So my question is , does the fat end go to the (L) or the (N) on my power supply.

does the fat end go to the (L) or the (N) on my power supply.

Do not go any further. You should not mess with mains if you do not know what you are doing and from the words you wrote it is clear you have not got a clue.

The post you wrote makes little sense. Get some one who knows about electricity to help you in person. There is so much you do not understand you could easily misunderstand what anyone told you on a forum.

(deleted)

The fact that the power supply has a voltage switch - and terminals for the mains on it, tells me that it has a metal case. :astonished:

You must use a three wire power cord - three pin plug - with an "earth" connection to wire up such a device with a metal case. Even in the USA.

The larger flat blade in the US is the neutral connection.

Uh, there are more appliances in the US with a two wire cord than a three. That must be the reason we have polarized plugs ...

Thank You, I happen to look at some monitor or printer power wires, and they have the N, L, and ground written on the female end. I guess I will be using those.

Paul__B:
The fact that the power supply has a voltage switch - and terminals for the mains on it, tells me that it has a metal case. :astonished:

You must use a three wire power cord - three pin plug - with an “earth” connection to wire up such a device with a metal case. Even in the USA.

Good luck trying to find a 3-pin outlet in the USA.

michinyon:

Paul_B: You _must__ use a three wire power cord - three pin plug - with an "earth" connection to wire up such a device with a metal case. Even in the USA.

?????

really? I don't have any non 3 in in my house,

pwillard:

really? I don't have any non 3 in in my house,

And any other house built is over the last 40+ years.

avr_fred: The larger flat blade in the US is the neutral connection.

Uh, there are more appliances in the US with a two wire cord than a three. That must be the reason we have polarized plugs ...

Depends on your definition of 'appliances'. Hand held appliances are 'double insulated' so are not required to have 3 wire power cords. Fixed appliances all have/required 3 wire power attachment.