Power supply driver suggestions for stepper motor

I looking to use this motor 12V, 1.7A, 416 oz-in Geared Bipolar Stepper Motor for a projet - to turn a leadscrew pause turn again.... repeat over again.

Part suggestions welcome and thanks in advance

I have an Arduino Uno board looking to buy:

8-35V 2A Single Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver A4988 for the driver on the Arduino would this work or this Dual Stepper Motor Driver Shield for Arduino OR 8-35V 2A Single Bipolar Stepper Motor Driver A4988 Black Edition

Power supply not sure what to use I would like it portable - battery power is first choice

Details of above products:

12V, 1.7A, 416 oz-in Geared Bipolar Stepper Motor https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/12v-17a-416oz-geared-bipolar-stepper-motor.html

• NEMA-17 bipolar 4-wire with integrated planetary gearbox • Holding torque: 30 kg·cm • Gear ratio: 26 103⁄121:1 • Rated current: 1.7 A The 12V, 1.7A, 416 oz-in Geared Bipolar Stepper Motor has an integrated Planetary gearbox with a 26 103/121 :1 ratio. It comes with the rear shaft exposed, so you can mount an encoder or shaft coupler. At 1.7 Amps (maximum current), this stepper motor can produce a maximum torque of 77 kg-cm. However, the gearbox is only rated for 30 kg-cm of continuous torque, and 80 kg-cm for brief overloads. Loading this gearbox stepper beyond the torque rating of the gearbox will shorten its useful life.

Driver https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/8-35v-2a-single-bipolar-stepper-motor-driver-a4988-black-edition.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm560-pWG2QIV0oZ-Ch1uwAmNEAYYAiABEgJo7fD_BwE

https://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/dual-stepper-motor-driver-shield-arduino.html

The A4988 will be struggling with a 1.7 amp motor - it will need a heat sink and a cooling fan. The Pololu DRV8825 stepper driver would be a better choice, but may also need a heat sink.

Steppers motors are very inefficient and are not really suited to battery power because they draw the full current even when stationary.

For a power supply the higher voltages will be better subject to the limit of the chosen stepper driver. Make sure you adjust the stepper driver current limit to protect the motor. You can safely ignore the 12v mentioned by Robotshop - I have no idea where they got the number and they seem to admit that themselves if you read the fine print. according to them it is a 2.8v motor - which only means that the coil resistance is 2.8v / 1.7A = 1.64 ohms (approx).

If you are driving a leadscrew I wonder do you need a reduction gearbox on the stepper motor?

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

Hi Robin2 Thanks for the clarification on the driver I think I have a heat sink from an old computer or I can get one.

The driver specs should have the maxim voltage? I must have missed that...big learning curve for me.

The battery life as long as it can last 1/2 to hour before recharging that would work, portability is more important. I still confused to the power supply that would be compatible.

From what I seen the quote stepper motor has a gearbox with it. I hope high enough torque to turn the leadscrew. My rough estimate on the torque is 4-5 ft lbs - yes I know I should convert but ft lbs make sense to me and I can remember them!! If know where I can access a gearbox only please let me know.

BCboy:
The battery life as long as it can last 1/2 to hour before recharging that would work, portability is more important. I still confused to the power supply that would be compatible.

If the motor is rated at 2.8v and 1.7A that is about 5 watts. For a 12v battery that would represent a current draw of about 0.4A. I would use 0.6A to allow for errors. So for half an hour of operation you would need about 0.6 * 0.5 - 0.3Ah. And supposing that is 20% of the total battery capacity (because the sticker capacities are always exaggerated) then you would need a capacity of about 1.5Ah. Please check my calculations carefully

If know where I can access a gearbox only please let me know.

I think you misunderstood my question. I was wondering if a motor with no gearbox would be a better solution. Lead screws are slow and the gearbox will make things much slower.

However the most important thing is to have sufficient torque.

…R

Gear box does greatly increase the torque - steppers aren't that slow - you should look at max speed of the motor (before it starts losing torque) and how fast the screw should really turn, then you can get an appropriate gearbox.

I drive the lead screws on my small lathe directly with small stepper motors. If I had a gearbox it would all be abysmally slow.

...R

I need to turn a lead screw that takes about 5 ft-lbs of torque or about 77 kg-cm, the reason for the gearbox
SPEED is no important it needs to move, stop move stop move. It for macro photography = speed is not important. A stepper motor moving a specific distance and stopping is important again estimated torque needed is 5 ft-lbs of torque or about 77 kg-cm.

Power supply = battery would be great it only need to last 1/2 hour to an hour and of course longer better. Weight can be a factor as well.

ANY suggestion to power supply? Battery or wall plug in?

For a battery powered system you may wish to consider using a geared DC motor with a rotary encoder. It would consume no power when stationary.

I can't help wondering if you have grossly over estimated the required torque. How could a system for moving a camera be that stiff? The little motor I linked to (2.3kg.cm holding torque) could easily move the slide of my lathe with my camera sitting on it. Indeed I suspect it would move it with me sitting on it. And with a ballbearing slide the motion resistance could be greatly reduced for photography.

...R