Power Supply for 5 Tower Pro SG90 Micro Servos

Hello, I am controlling five Tower Pro SG90 Micro Servos with an arduino, but as i feared the arduino requires an external power supply for these servos. I have tried using a 1 amp 6 volt dc wall wart and could only power 2 servos. i would like to know if there are any suggestions on what kind of battery or wall wart to buy, i would prefer the cheapest option which as of now that is a wall wart, but any input is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Operating speed: 0.12second/ 60degree ( 4.8V no load)
Stall Torque (4.8V): 17.5oz /in (1kg/cm)
Operating voltage: 3.0V~7.2V
Temperature range: -30 to +60
Dead band width: 7usec

How many servos do you want to power?

OK, so you need a 5 (or 6) volt 5 Amp regulated wall wart. This actually means it will be a lightweight "switchmode" supply. These are usually marked with input voltage 100 to 240 V.

I actually suspect you will get away with a 2.5 or 3 Amp supply which are fairly readily available, but we have to tell you the right thing just in case.

Nikolas_Maples:
But as I feared the Arduino requires an external power supply for these servos.

It's not as you "feared", it's as you knew.

If you didn't know, you didn't have sufficient knowledge to use servos. :grinning:

Hi,

Servos need a lot of current because they are required to change position from standstill while under load.
So if a lot of torque is need to move the output shaft, more torque = more current.
If the servo has to hold a fixed position and is still under a load torque, the servo will continue to draw significant current to hold that position.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

Thanks for the share of these information. voir coque galaxy s6 & housse galaxy s6

Hello, thank you all for the info, i have decide on the purchase of a Venom 3000mah 6 volt battery on the recommendation of Paul__B.

You can get UBEC voltage regulators on ebay that are made for supplying 5/6v for servos from higher voltage power supplys. You can also get USB wall chargers that supply up to 2A at 5v from an outlet.