Power supply for current-limiting stepper driver and Arduino Due in assembly

Hello,

I’m new with motors, and controllers, need advice

I want to use Arduino Due Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 to control 5 units of this Bipolar Stepper Motors

I think to use this bipolar stepper driver with high speed.

Voltage must improve torque at high speed, 12V power supply seems not enough with A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier.

So, first of all, I need advice for proper choice of (24-36 volts) power supply device, and how to configure this assembly, separate power source for controller and motors, and what power supply use for controller, separately or some compact way. And also I'm not sure about choice of bipolar stepper driver, maybe I need to use some different and Heat Sink equipped device.

Any advice or guide would be helpful

What a cute little motor! It's 20mm square, about 3/4"!

If you are going to use the A4988 driver, you're limited to 35V. So a stock 36V power supply is out.

24V would work, but higher top speed if you can get closer to 35V.

You can use a different power supply for the Due, just don't forget to connect grounds.

What are you using five tiny motors for?

The A4988 should work fine for that motor - just respect its voltage limits and make sure the current is adjusted to 0.6amps to protect the motor.

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

,R

Daenerys:
What a cute little motor! It's 20mm square, about 3/4"!
If you are going to use the A4988 driver, you're limited to 35V. So a stock 36V power supply is out.
24V would work, but higher top speed if you can get closer to 35V.
You can use a different power supply for the Due, just don't forget to connect grounds.
What are you using five tiny motors for?

Robin2:
The A4988 should work fine for that motor - just respect its voltage limits and make sure the current is adjusted to 0.6amps to protect the motor.

Hello,

Thank you for your answers

I have minimal experience with controllers, motors and hardware assembly, but this particular project seems not to difficult if I will get proper device and basic guide, to use it for mechanics and control application.

I need to handle event commands for several steppers with 2.5 oz-in of torque, with compatible high voltage motor power supply (e.g. 24-36 volts) to get the desired step rate.

fast combinations movement mostly in range of 90 degree with step positions, based on cv processing current coordinate result in real time, and mouth movement which has set of combinations for each viseme, it is no less then 5-6 messages per second PC sends to controller for viseme event and real time control from coordinate degree must be 3-5 per second command for several motors at the same time. Short movements from one step to another by combination.

This assumes that the response and motion of motors must be quite fast and synchronous with event, without delay. Torque required to accelerate mass of mechanical parts accounts for 53-193 gm for each separate motor including gear element, from 0 to 300 rpm in 0.1 seconds.

It is for animatronic viseme and eyes movement mechanism from control application. Motor size in mechanical assembly must be about 22-27mm 32-23mm maximum. I hope this stepper and bipolar stepper driver with compatible high voltage motor power supply (e.g. 24-36 volts) must work, but now I noted that it is 35 volts

A lot of what you wrote in Reply #3 is really more appropriate for your other Thread on this subject. Don't waste people's time by carrying on the same conversation in two places.

...R

Please remember to add limit switches so your program can always begin operation with each stepper at a known position. Also a limit switch is a safety device so the stepper does not overshoot where you want it to be.

Begin your program with just one motor. Then you can add them sequentially as you learn how to make them move that way you want.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Please remember to add limit switches so your program can always begin operation with each stepper at a known position. Also a limit switch is a safety device so the stepper does not overshoot where you want it to be.
Paul

Hello,

Thank you for your answer

Can you advice, which Limit Switch device I can use for this assembly. I need it for each stepper?

I found

OdiySurveil (TM) XV-152-1C25 Hinge Lever Type Miniature Micro Switch

WINGONEER 10pcs V-156-1C25 Micro Limit Switch with Long Hinge Roller Momentary SPDT Snap Action for Arduino

20 Pieces KFC-V-101 Micro Limit Switch Lever tiny small Normally open n/o C22

Uxcell AC 250V 16 Amp SPDT Long Straight Hinge Lever Mini Limit Micro Switch

HJ Garden 10pcs 3pin Micro Limit Switch AC 125V 1A SPDT Miniature Mechanical Control Switch Long Roller Lever for Ardunio Electronic Circuit

etc., but I'm not sure what is proper device for particular project

axio9:
Hello,

Thank you for your answer

Can you advice, which Limit Switch device I can use for this assembly. I need it for each stepper?

I found

OdiySurveil (TM) XV-152-1C25 Hinge Lever Type Miniature Micro Switch

WINGONEER 10pcs V-156-1C25 Micro Limit Switch with Long Hinge Roller Momentary SPDT Snap Action for Arduino

20 Pieces KFC-V-101 Micro Limit Switch Lever tiny small Normally open n/o C22

Uxcell AC 250V 16 Amp SPDT Long Straight Hinge Lever Mini Limit Micro Switch

HJ Garden 10pcs 3pin Micro Limit Switch AC 125V 1A SPDT Miniature Mechanical Control Switch Long Roller Lever for Ardunio Electronic Circuit

etc., but I'm not sure what is proper device for particular project

Well, It's you design. I cannot see what you have from here.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Well, It's you design. I cannot see what you have from here.

Paul

I found on Amazon:

BIQU A4988 Compatible Stepper StepStick Motor Diver Module with Heat Sink for 3D Printer Controller Ramps 1.4

It is includes Heat Sink.

This board:

Notes:

1. Without a heat sink or forced air flow.
  2. With sufficient additional cooling.

it does not requires Heat Sink?

I don't know if you need one for each stepper. You have not designed your thing, yet.

Paul