Power supply for multiple feathers

Hello,

I'm working on quite a big project. It's a permanent installation with 70 x Adafruit HUZZAH32 ESP32 Feather Boards, each connected to 2 x NeoPixel Sticks (8 x WS2812 5050 RGB LED). They all have a 3.7 V - 2000 mAh LiPoly battery connected on the JST jack as a power back up.

Now for my question:
I want to connect the boards to a external power source through the USB connector for running the hole object and charging the batterys.
Can someone help me understand, what i would need to get for that. Is there a way to have like a 70 x USB "wall adapter" or some kind of power converter I can connect all the boards in some way?
I have access to a regular european power outlet (240V)

I’ll be straight – looks to me that you have no idea what you are doing…

Tell us more about your "big project’ and we might give you more sensible solution.

Alright then, you are right, I don't know how to scale from 1 board to 70 boards, that is why I'm looking for help.

From what I could find on the Adafruit homepage one board draws about 250 mA and the LEDs 20-60 mA (I know, quite a range, but that's what I found out) All running on 3.3V - so i got something like 5 Wh / 1500 mAh per board of power draw.

Each Board is connected via wifi to the internet collecting temperature data online every 15 minutes and if a specific hashtag on twitter is used a different function is triggered. The LEDs are on all the time and change the color according to the temperature data collected. Every time the hashtag is used, the LEDs flash 3 times. So far that's all up and running with 1 board with a 4x8 NeoPixel Matrix Feather Wing.

Now I need to find a way to power all 70 boards 24/7. Since I'm not a electrician I would be really thankful if somebody could help me or push me in the right direction, so i know where to look for a solution.

toschi24:
Alright then, you are right, I don't know how to scale from 1 board to 70 boards, that is why I'm looking for help.

From what I could find on the Adafruit homepage one board draws about 250 mA and the LEDs 20-60 mA (I know, quite a range, but that's what I found out) All running on 3.3V - so i got something like 5 Wh / 1500 mAh per board of power draw.

Each Board is connected via wifi to the internet collecting temperature data online every 15 minutes and if a specific hashtag on twitter is used a different function is triggered. The LEDs are on all the time and change the color according to the temperature data collected. Every time the hashtag is used, the LEDs flash 3 times. So far that's all up and running with 1 board with a 4x8 NeoPixel Matrix Feather Wing.

Now I need to find a way to power all 70 boards 24/7. Since I'm not a electrician I would be really thankful if somebody could help me or push me in the right direction, so i know where to look for a solution.

Do you realize that with proper coding this task can be done by only one MCU? That what I meant when writing that you don't know what you are doing :slight_smile:

Ok, I get what you mean..
Right now every board represents 1 City/Location and collects the data from that place. Therefore every board has an own user account to get access to the data.

You suggest, I should connect all the LEDs to one board? So I would have all the data in one place and adress only the corresponding pixels for the effect, right?

Which board would you recommend for that?

toschi24:
You suggest, I should connect all the LEDs to one board? So I would have all the data in one place and adress only the corresponding pixels for the effect, right?

Exactly! Because you need to update only every 15 minutes one MCU for all measurements is plenty.

toschi24:
Which board would you recommend for that?

Any ESP32 will do. I would go with ESP32 Node MCU.
Make sure it's ESP32, not ESP8266.
It should look similar to this (some components may be shifted)

One thing I'm not sure about how to manage is connecting the LEDs in a way, so I can address each LED-assembly (2x 8 x WS2812 5050 RGB LED) individually without a series connection. First of all a series connection would be quite complicated because of the placement of the different strips (lot of wiring through kinked tubes) and second the risk of a complete failure of a lot of LEDs if a connection is broken - other than only one "place" with a single controller for every "LED-Strip"

Use STRIP.
If you need cut every 8 LEDs (or as many DELs as you want), solder wires on those same connections. Put some effort and everything will be OK. There is plenty videos how to do that, don't be lazy, google stuff.