Power Svaing ADC

In Nick Gammon's power saving blog post - http://gammon.com.au/power - he turns off the ADC to save power with ADCSRA=0;

I want to do this but I need the ADC when the processor wakes up so my question is: does analogRead, or anything in the Arduino library take care of starting up the ADC or do I need to set up the ADCSRA register myself. In that case am I better off just toggling bit 7 of ADCSRA to enable/disable the ADC since the datasheet says bit 7 enables the ADC.

Is there something or someone on here that removes bumped posts? I have tried to raise this back to the top of the pile twice this morning but the reply just gets deleted...

sirch:
Is there something or someone on here that removes bumped posts?

I generally do but I have not in your case. The blame lies elsewhere.

I have tried to raise this back to the top of the pile twice this morning…

Continue doing that and I’ll get mighty pissed off.

I don't like bumps when reading the source is an option. As far as I can see, ADEN is set only in "init()", so yes, you'll have to set it yourself if you reset it. I can't really see a good reason the "analogRead()" itself doesn't set it.

Thanks for the response.

I wonder what one is supposed to do when what I thought was a legitimate question goes unanswered and hardly gets any views for 15 hours? If I knew where to begin with “reading the source” - like where the source is - I could do that but then it wouldn’t be much of a forum if everyone just knew how to solve all their own problems…

Well, maybe rather than just saying “bump”, you could have said “Here’s what I’ve tried , but I drew a blank”

sirch: Thanks for the response.

I wonder what one is supposed to do when what I thought was a legitimate question goes unanswered and hardly gets any views for 15 hours? If I knew where to begin with "reading the source" - like where the source is - I could do that but then it wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone just knew how to solve all their own problems...

Its crowd sourcing - if noone knows the answer you may not get get a reply. Sometimes a question can be answered simply by trying it yourself as here - in that case why not try it yourself and report back to the forum so others can benefit. Sometimes people don't answer because its easily answered by a search of the forums - contributors will each tend to answer certain topics they know best, some issues fall through the gaps...

Well let's take it as read that I know how to use Google, I have been online since before there was a WWW...

I am having MAJOR issues integrating a number of what I naively thought would be fairly straight-forward operations - i.e. wake-up, read a TWI device, read 2 analog pins, write to an SD Card and go back to sleep. I can get each of these going individually but integrating them is a complete nightmare. To the point where I am a) considering abandoning the Arduino Dev Environment for Atmel studio for this project and b) seriously thinking of abandoning Arduino altogether for future projects.

So, I thought hey, there is a community out there who might know, just to save me chucking a whole new raft of complexity into the library conflict hell that this is becoming. But then I just get threatened by moderators...

I am having MAJOR issues integrating a number of what I naively thought would be fairly straight-forward operations

But despite posting in the Programming section, you haven't posted any of your problematic code.

I don't believe you've been threatened by any moderators, just warned about pissing them off. (we're a bit touchy at the moment due to the high volumes of spam and misplaced posts)

he turns off the ADC to save power with ADCSRA=0;

I'd save the current state of ADCSRA first - ADEN isn't the only bit set, I suspect.

Yeah, tried that - http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=210994.msg1548140#msg1548140 - didn’t get me very far. BTW don’t bother too much with that code it’s moved on a bit since then. I get the feeling that it’s quick wins to answer the easy questions so they get the focus, posting 600+ lines of code is a bit too much for anyone to digest, especially when the problem seems to be in the libraries (or the combination in which they are used). So I thought I would break out just one piece of the problem as a digestible chunk.

sirch: I wonder what one is supposed to do when what I thought was a legitimate question goes unanswered and hardly gets any views for 15 hours?

Fifteen hours? Are you serious? The vast majority of people visit this forum [u]once a day[/u]. Bumping more frequently than that wastes [u]your[/u] time.

After a few days you do some combination of... Ask a moderator to move the topic to another section. Provide more details. Do some searching / work on your own and report back what you find (even if you are coming back with a failure).

But then I just get threatened by moderators...

Well let's take it as read that I know how to use Google...

Except when it comes to determining what "action" I take against people who frequently bump topics. If you had used Google as you claim to be able to do you would know that the "threat" you perceive exists solely between your ears. I stated exactly what I meant. Bumping pisses me off. I see it as a selfish act. I see it as trying to "cut in line". I see it as trying to place yourself above others who also want help. But that's all on me. The action I take is to ask you to stop then demand you stop. Certainly not much of a "threat".

So I thought I would break out just one piece of the problem as a digestible chunk.

Excellent plan.

I'd save the current state of ADCSRA first - ADEN isn't the only bit set, I suspect.

That's also what I would do.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=221269.msg1609921#msg1609921 date=1393442121] Fifteen hours? Are you serious? The vast majority of people visit this forum [u]once a day[/u]. Bumping more frequently than that wastes [u]your[/u] time. [/quote]

When you are getting on for 60 posts down the list and 50+ of the other 60 have had a response...