Power transformer monitoring device

Hello friends,

I am new to this site and I am happy yo say that it is a place rich in resources.

A little introduction, I am an electrical engineer specializing in power engineering. I am working on a project that involves real-time monitoring of power transformers. The parameters I am interested in are the operating status of the transformer (on/off), temperature of the transformer, the percentage loading of the transformer and sent the results real-time on-line. I am looking at sending it via SIM module(GPRS/EDGE/HSPDA/4G) and I want two sim modules for redundancy.

Can I get any help from this forum?

The parameters I am interested in are the operating status of the transformer (on/off)

I’m not sure how you “turn off” a transformer but you can us a smaller transformer (with a rectifier, etc.) or if the voltage isn’t too high, an optical isolator to monitor input or output voltage.

temperature of the transformer

There are easy-to-use analog temperature sensors (such as the LM34/LM35) or temperature sensors with an I2C interface. (There is an Arduino I2C library.)

the percentage loading of the transformer

Do you have a way of measuring current? A hall-effect current sensor would be the “typical” choice, but I don’t now how much current you’re trying to measure. You can also use a current transformer, which may be more appropriate for higher-power but the Arduino can’t read negative voltages (it can be damaged by negative voltages) so you’ll have to “deal with” the AC.

I am looking at sending it via SIM module(GPRS/EDGE/HSPDA/4G) and I want two sim modules for redundancy.

I assume you’ll want two complete “systems”. And if you are monitoring for power loss, of course you’ll need a battery backup.

Are you "power engineer" enough to find suitable actors (on/off switch) and sensors for the transformer?

If so, give us links to all used items (data sheets, libraries...) for further assistance.

DO you have ready access to the transformer? Is it air cooled or oil cooled? If oil, is the oil pumped or gravity circulated? If oil, is there a separate heat transfer unit?

Paul