Power via Switching Step-Down Regulator

Hi guys,

I am new to electronics and need your help to verify something.

I am using an Arduino Duemilanove to regulate the speed of a 20VDC motor. This perfect from USB, however I am planning on running the board on its own. This would require a 12V adapter. As I am already working with 20V from the Motor it occured to me that I could perhaps use this power instead of another adapter.

I have found the following item on eBay (cant post links, search on eBay for itemnumber: 230397208452) which should imho do the trick. It has slightly more capacity than required (figured this to be a good idea when relying on HK electronics). The 20V power supply can definitely handle the extra power.

So my only question is: will using powering the Arduino like this work in a safe and reliable way?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jacco

Wait! Second post :P Clicky: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230397208452

Nice looking module, I think I will order one sometime. I've bought several things from that E-bay sell over time and have never had a problem with them.

Your planned use of their switching regulator would work fine for powering your Arduino. However a simple 7812 voltage regulator and a couple of small filter caps would be able to power your Arduino fine through the external power connector when the 7812 regulator's input is wired to 20vdc, for a lot less $$$.

Lefty