Powering 10 servos on a perfboard?

Howdy, partners.

I'm assembling a mobile manipulator and trying to specify my options of minimizing the weight, costs and complexity of the circuit. It would be perfect to limit the load to a single battery and a board. Some servos could use different voltages than 5V for that precious torque, so there are stabilizers involved and what not. The motors should keep their position, which means some considerable current, I understand.

I'm looking at a Li-Pol accumulator @ 11.1V, 20A (or perhaps 12A would suffice if keeping position does not require anything close to a stall current) but what would be the way of distributing the power to the regulators and farther? Designing a PCB would be an excellent display of power but I can't necessarily see myself succeeding. Also, that wouldn't give much ability to test stuff in the programming phase.

If there's a chance of connecting the accumulator, regulators, microcontrollers, servos etc. on a perfboard-like appliance:

• what exactly would be the means of splitting the initial power supply (JST/BEC connector) into further hubs?
  • how does connecting all the ground work in such setup?

The simplest but not the cheapest way is to use SEPIC converters to generate each voltage you need. They are in the +90% efficiency range. Linear regulators at best are at 50% efficiency. Pick the battery voltage to match the voltage required by your biggest load (by watts), Also consider the voltage when the battery is discharged.

" Some servos could use different voltages than 5V for that precious torque, so there are stabilizers involved and what not. The motors should keep their position, which means some considerable current, I understand."

Most hobby grade servos work better at the high end of their voltage range, like 6v instead of 5v. Check on ebay for 6v UBEC voltage regulators which are more efficient than voltage regulating chips.