Powering 4 DC motors and a servo motor with L293D

Hi there,

I am having a slightly hard time accomplishing the feat of powering 4 DC motors and a servo motor with the use of an L293D motor shield. The 4 DC motors are the same found in this kit by Actorobotics found at this link if needed https://www.servocity.com/junior. The technical details given for each motor are:

• Suggested Voltage: 4.5VDC
  • No Load Speed: 140RPM
  • No Load Current: 190mA
  • Max. Load Current: 250mA
  • Torque: 800 gf-cm

The servo motor I am using is attached to a claw/gripper and on the label it says 4.6-6V its details is:Mini Servo Claw | Creatron Inc

• Operating voltage: 5-12V
  • Max Load 60g

The L293D motor shield has the following features: Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield - Elecrow

• Be able to drive 4 DC motor and 2 ‘hoppy’ Servo
  • Be able to drive 2 stepper and 2 ‘hoppy’ Servo
  • The logic control voltage Vss: 4.5~5.5V
  • Motor Supply Voltage: 4.5 ~ 12V
  • Drive part of the operating current Io: 1.2A

Not sure what it means by hoppy it may have meant hobby I guess, anyway I have so far only tried using a 9V to the arduino uno and 6V(4AA) to the motor shield. Running the DC motors in a program by themselves it runs no problem, same with the servo motor. Combined however only the servo motor runs and when I try to drive the DC motors via bluetooth I only get a ringing noise. From what I’ve read this means I don’t have a strong enough power supply. Sorry for the long post but if anyone is able to tell me what I would need to run both it would be much appreciated.

If you're trying to run the Arduino and servo from a 9V smoke detector battery, that's your problem, you need a 5V supply that can handle at least 1.5 Amps

Hi 756E6C,

I thought in order to run the arduino it would be safer to go with a voltage supply of somewhere between 7-12V. However what you said does make sense, I shall go out when it's morning here and try a DC power supply with a higher current, thanks for the advice.