Powering arduino for a blinds project

Hello,
I have electric motor controlled blinds at home. I'm planning to control these with an arduino.

What are some of the options for powering the Arduino?

Can I disassemble a 5v phone charger and use it as a continuous power supply for the arduino?

I also have the option of using a 5v power supply that is commonly used for powering LED projects however this seems to be an expensive solution and I dont need the extra amps...

nervusvagus:
Can I disassemble a 5v phone charger and use it as a continuous power supply for the arduino?

Why do you need to disassemble it? Just use it as it is. It will be safer.

How are the blinds powered. A link would be helpful.

The Arduino shouldn't require much power. Maybe the Arduino could share power from the blinds?

I'm very curious how the blinds are controlled.

Well each of blinds have wall switches.

To close the blinds I have to keep the close side of the switch pushed until the blinds closes. and vice versa for opening the blinds.

this is the switch:

after I remove the buttons:

I'm still not sure about which cable is which:

Plus there are 3 other cables connected inside:

I'm hoping I can power the arduino with the power line going to the blinds...

If you don't know what the wires are for, I doubt you have the knowledge to do it safely.

Weedpharma

I don't have the knowledge to do it safely.

This is a tough one. I agree with Weedpharma about not messing with the wires unless you know what you’re doing.

What about adding a small box beneath the switches with a servo? You could use one of the small Arduino boards and possibly a micro servo (if it’s strong enough) to press one switch of the other. The Arduino, servo and input device (Bluetooth module?) could be powered by a battery or if you don’t mind an additional wire, some sort of supply from a wall outlet. The phone charger you mentioned earlier would likely work. The power supply would need to be able to supply enough current for both the Arduino, input device and servo. If you could get by with a micro servo, I’d think a 1A 5V supply would probably meet your power requirements.

nervusvagus:
I don’t have the knowledge to do it safely.

This tells me that you should abandon the project. Or enlist the help of an electrician.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
This tells me that you should abandon the project. Or enlist the help of an electrician.

Controlling the switches mechanical would certainly be safe. Though a mechanical solution may not be cosmetically appealing.

May be what you need.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
May be what you need.

Cool little gizmos. They cost more than I would have expected.

@nervusvagus, it's very easy to add Bluetooth to something like this. You can get HC-05 modules for about $4 on ebay. If there's not already an app to let you push the buttons, I'll write one for you (I'd just cut out a bunch of stuff in one of my other apps).

If you can build a device to position a servo so it can control the buttons, we can help you with the software.