powering arduino through lamp socket

Hi

I wanted to power my arduino LED by screwing it into a lamp socket (the socket the light bulb screws into).

Just to be clear, I want to basically take the bottom of a lightbulb and wire it to my arduino so that e.g. the LED is powered through the lamp socket.

My father said that he saw these connectors years ago but I can find them now.

any ideas?

Dave

Why use an entire Arduino just for the led it got? You should be able to buy quite a few leds of the same type for the price of one Arduino.

Or is it something you made with leds connected to the Arduino? I remember those plugs too, and they are no longer legal to use here, might be the same case where you live?

A more dangerous hack would simply be to remove the socket from a bulb and use that, and then solder a small regulated 9v (or 5v if you want to use the usb connector) directly to it. You could use some stiff installation wires to do that so it will be kept in place at the same time.

A more dangerous hack would simply be to remove the socket from a bulb and use that, and then solder a small regulated 9v

Indeed it would be more dangerous.

For a start the light bulb socket delvers AC, so that would need rectifying and smoothing first. Next this would exceed the input voltage for all regulators I have ever seen. Finally it would be a direct connection to the mains and so potentially lethal if anything went wrong.

I was thinking about those small 230v ac switchmode you can get.

This unit brings it down to something more hand able http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13690 it is however only 320mA and 16~26V DC