Powering Arduino UNO and Stepper Motor off same Battery

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what's the recommended way to run my Arduino UNO and Stepper motor using a single 9.6v Battery. I already know how to power the Arduino and Stepper Motor separately using my battery, just not sure what to do to power them BOTH at the same time off a single battery. (i.e Wiring, risk of surges(?), etc)

Thanks!

Recommend you always run the controller and motor off different power supplies.

LarryD:
Recommend you always run the controller and motor off different power supplies.

That was my original plan (to have the Arduino run off a 9V battery and the Motor off a 9.6v Rechargable NiMH battery pack) but it seems kind of of inconvenient. So there is no (safe) way to run them both off the single battery pack?

This “might” work.
D9 may have to be higher power depending on the motor current requirement.

6-6-2013 12-19-32 PM.jpg

I think everone is over cautious. You can run safely off the same battery pack. I do it all the time. You must have an additional 100uF electrolytic and a .1uF ceramic capacitor at the input to the Arduino power regulator. Adding a 1uF Tantalum is also a good idea. Of course the battery must supply the motor current without a large voltage dip (below the minimum for the 5v regulator). The battery Amp rating should be comfortably above peak motor current or the Arduino will reset due to a Brownout.

Seperate supplies are recommended if the motors are very noisy and/or have very large current surges.
They are also required if my suggestion does not work :wink:

Joe