POWERING ARDUINO UNO

I will be using a optical rotary encoder sensor with my arduino uno.

The encoder: http://usdigital.com/products/encoders/absolute/rotary/shaft/A2

I am a beginner with using arduino, so I have a question regarding my power source.

For my project I will need to have the power source of 12V 10amp battery (car battery pretty much).

Am I able to connect this straight into my arduino uno, or do I need some type of shield for that high of voltage and amperage?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for the help.

The amperage doesn't matter since it will only draw what it needs. But the voltage is on the limit of the recommended 12V and in fact probably over since car batteries charge to almost 14V iirc.

So yep you should get some kind of regulator.

(Btw car battery is waaaaaay over 10A.....)

Thank you for the response. Our class is using a 12V 10amp power source. Even though it is not the actual specs for a car battery this is what we are using. Forget I said car battery.

So if my encoder is recommended 12V and a supply current of 18mA this should be okay for arduino uno?

And if so, which pins do I connect power source to?

Again any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I can't help with connecting the encoder but I would be disinclined to power the Arduino with 12V. I'd use a properly regulated 5V into the USB or say 7-8V or so into the barrel or Vin.

I have an adafruit motor shield. I will not be needing it to control a motor, however is there anyway that I can use this to regulate the voltage to my arduino uno?

Because the encoder still needs 12V for operation.

npbirked: For my project I will need to have the power source of 12V 10amp battery (car battery pretty much).

Am I able to connect this straight into my arduino uno, or do I need some type of shield for that high of voltage and amperage?

If you make up a dc plug for connecting the 12 V battery to your uno via the dc input socket..... then the uno can certainly handle that. The voltage applied to the dc input socket doesn't need to be 'regulated'. Will be fine.