Powering L298N

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, this is my first post. Bit of a silly question but if I am powering two 12v motors with an L298N motor controller like this, would I need a 12v power source or 24v? Basically, does using 2 identical motors double the current needed or the voltage to power the motor controller?

Also, do I really need separate power sources to eliminate motor noise?

Hi, You would use a 12V supply. The L298N is an "H-bridge" which can connect the motors for both forward and reverse.

"Separate" power source for Arduino would be a good idea...

stormfalcon32: Also, do I really need separate power sources to eliminate motor noise?

Its not just noise, its drop-outs where the motor is stalled (even briefly at startup) and pulls more current than the supply can provide (again briefly), causing the voltage to drop.

If you can guarantee your supply can handle worst-case stall current, its going to hold up OK, but normally stall currents are 5x (or more) times the normal running current, which means unnecessarily large supply.

For battery powered the stall current peaks cause the voltage to drop as the battery becomes drained, but you don't want this to cause the microcontroller to reset, hence separate supply being a really good idea