Powering "large" automation project

Hello,

I am working on a large for me automation project. The issue arises with the need for multiple power supplies. I need to power all 5 or so power supplies from the same wall outlet and am wondering what product I will need to do this. The idea is similar to a commercial power strip, where multiple loads can be connected to the same receptacle through one common cord/plug and each plug of the power strip is connected in parallel to the previous one. I have found what I believe to be what I want and am wondering if anyone can confirm if this is the correct product or not. If there is a better product than this to achieve my goal, I would be glad to hear it.

DIN Rail Mount Terminal Block

MODULAR DIN RAIL-MOUNT TERMINAL BLOCK.PDF (106 KB)

That will work. You may want to compare prices at Automation Direct. Many others also make these parts. You can even get them with integrated fuses with indicators, jumper bars for bussing and numerous other functions.

Don't forget the end blocks to keep the parts on the rail.

Regardless of how you connect them, the limiting factor is how much current that outlet/circuit can supply. Most newer homes only use 15A breakers on living area circuits, and that circuit supplies many other outlets.

How many amps does your PSUs need?

The machine will be on a dedicated circuit where it could theoretically draw all 15A that the circuit can provide. Initially, I thought that current would be a limiting factor, but after measuring currents of the motors running, I don’t forsee this being an issue as each motor was not pulling anywhere near full load amps.

armorall20:
The machine will be on a dedicated circuit where it could theoretically draw all 15A that the circuit can provide. Initially, I thought that current would be a limiting factor, but after measuring currents of the motors running, I don't forsee this being an issue as each motor was not pulling anywhere near full load amps.

The concern is not the current of the motor while running, but the STARTING current. Will all motors start at the same time?

Paul

armorall20:
The machine will be on a dedicated circuit where it could theoretically draw all 15A that the circuit can provide. Initially, I thought that current would be a limiting factor, but after measuring currents of the motors running, I don't forsee this being an issue as each motor was not pulling anywhere near full load amps.

Is that the mains voltage current or the total of the DC outputs current?
How many supplies and how much power are they providing?
Can you post a diagram of ALL your power supplies and what they supply, so we can evaluate your mains power requirements please.
Tom... :slight_smile: