Powering many LED's

Hello
I am looking to power between 100 and 500 high brightness LED's for a wall-sized equalizer project I am working on. What kind of hardware should I be looking at to do this? I imagine power consumption could be an issue with a grid this big of high-power LED's (possibly these LED - Super Bright Red (25 pack) - COM-09660 - SparkFun Electronics). Do you think I could get the project in under $100? (I already have the PC to output serial/audio, an arduino and all the wire I would need to go to the moon and back)

Take a look at M5451 chips. They are constant current driver chips that can drive 30 LEDs each.
If you are wanting it in a matrix then you only then need 20 connections or so (10x10 matrix) and there are many examples of creating large LED matrix projects. For an example, the peggy (and peggy II) have a lot of LEDs in a matrix but I can't remember what drives them.

I imagine power consumption could be an issue with a grid this big of high-power LED's (possibly these LED - Super Bright Red (25 pack) - COM-09660 - SparkFun Electronics). Do you think I could get the project in under $100?

Yeah I would have thought so but don't buy LEDs from sparkfun. Very expensive way of doing it.

(I already have the PC to output serial/audio, an arduino and all the wire I would need to go to the moon and back)

That might not be enough :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius