Powering my Arduino UNO through the USB connection with a Apple 5W USB Adapter

By adapter, I mean this: Apple 5W USB Power Adapter - Apple
The A-B Wire is the one in this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Tutorial-Arduino/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515292174&sr=1-1&keywords=elegoo+uno+project+super+starter+kit+with+tutorial+for+arduino

My questions:

1. Would it be safe to power my arduino using this adapter?
  2. Can I use the A-B connection to do this? (Unregulated, so I'm asking if it would be safe)

Details:

• The apple adapter is official (Bought it from the store, so I'm fairly sure)
  • According to the small text on the adapter, it is 5V 1A

Yes, powering the Arduino from that adapter to the USB connector will be fine.

Thanks for the reply! I was worried I might blow up my Arduino or something...

arnavb12:
Thanks for the reply! I was worried I might blow up my Arduino or something...

And how should it be able to blow up your Arduino?

// Per.

Zapro:
And how should it be able to blow up your Arduino?

Powering through the USB is subjecting the microcontroller directly to whatever the power supply dishes out. If the voltage happens to be off or dirty I think that could definitely let out the magic smoke. I've actually never run into that problem despite powering some of my Arduinos with bargain priced eBay power supplies. Supposedly some of these cheapo power supplies are putting out lethal voltages! I think an Apple power supply should be good quality so not a concern in this case.

Hi,
Did you read the "Ratings/Review" about that product?

Looking at a picture of the product I'd say Apple have done a Clive Sinclair, too physically small a device for the power it supplies.

Tom... :slight_smile: