Powering the Arduino with batteries along with 2A switch

Hello all,

I am fairly new to arduino as well as electronics, and I need a bit of advice

I did some reading up and found that using a 9V battery does power the arduino just fine but won't last nearly as long as 6 AA in series,

The only problem with that is that the current is much higher, and I'm wondering if i need to be concerned with a switch I will have connected will blow out, it is rated for 2A:

So my end goal is to make the battery last decently long while having this switch somewhere in there,

Thank you,
Derick

I don't know what you are talking about, but the Arduino by itself draws very little current.
10s of milliamps.

I might be asking the wrong question, wish I knew more

So the setup is 6AAs to 2A switch to arduino with 2 LEDs in parallel

A .5 or 1 amp switch would be more that enough for this.

What is your project?

You seem to be confusing the amps-that-a-battery-can-deliver with the amps-that-a-load-demands. Your switch only needs to be suitable for the load demand - it can be meatier if you wish but as others have suggested, anything that can handle 1/2 amp or so will be more than sufficient.

haskamonkies:
I might be asking the wrong question, wish I knew more

So the setup is 6AAs to 2A switch to arduino with 2 LEDs in parallel

Your description is still a bit ambiguous, perhaps you should draw the circuit on a piece of paper, and post a picture of it.

However, in general, if you are powering an Arduino and two LEDs with 9 volts, then your current draw will be about 100 ma, or a tenth of an amp. (That is 60ma from the Arduino, and 20ma from each LED, assuming they are the small 'bulb' type with two thin wires.)

Your switch will handle that, as it will work with any current less than 2000 milliamps (2 amps), and your draw of 100 ma is way below that. Put the switch between the positive terminal of the battery holder and the next thing to attach to that (probably the Arduino's Vin pin.)

As Larry asked, what are you making?

The technical term for what batteries are is a constant voltage source. Ignoring some details about internal resistance and discharge curves, a battery maintains a constant voltage, and the supplied current depends on the characteristic of the attached load.

The vast majority of common power sources are constant voltage, including mains power outlets, USB ports, and AC/DC power bricks.

This is in contrast to the rarer constant current source. This power source will try to force a constant current out of it's terminals, and the applied voltage will vary depending on the attached load. This type of source is less common and is used for more specialized applications, such as charging batteries or driving high power LEDs (both of which act closely like constant voltage loads).