Powering the Yun with an external battery

Is it possible to safely power a Yun with a 9V battery by connecting it to the Vin and GRD pins?

I've done this in the past with an UNO and had no problems, but I don't know if there is any differences with the Yun?

If this is not safe can someone recommend the best way to power the Yun with a battery? I'm looking to power the board and two servo motors.

Thanks

rhammell: Is it possible to safely power a Yun with a 9V battery by connecting it to the Vin and GRD pins?

NO! The a Yun has is no on-board regulator, VIN must only be clean regulated 5V power. Your battery will destroy your Yun.

If this is not safe can someone recommend the best way to power the Yun with a battery? I'm looking to power the board and two servo motors.

Use a much bigger battery, and feed it with a DC-DC converter. The Yun is not designed for energy efficiency, the WiFi radio and the faster Linx processor will drain a rectangular 9V (transistor radio) battery in less then an hour.

Maybe THIS would work with a large rechargeable battery (sealed lead acid or an RC car battery pack?)

Thanks for this info. Glad to hear this before I ended up testing it out for myself and ruining my board!

The link you included should definitely be helpful as well - i think I'll end up getting one of these.

Thanks again!