powering up arduino + GSM with Lipo rider, lipo battery

Hi all, I am using:

Arduino Mega as a controller (5V)
Lipo rider as battery charger and to provide 5V - 1A to the arduino
3.7 V 10000 mAh Lipo battery, 1C
EFCom GSM shield (500mA average, 2A pulse )

my problem is, this lipo rider pro they claim its able to provide up to 1A max however, the GSM shield needs 2A (in peaks time), in addition to the arduino power and the sensors (around 100 mA).

I tried powering up this system with a 2A powerbank but it didn’t work, I powered it up with 12V, 2A adapter and it works fine! I couldn’t understand why the powerbank is not able to power it up although the current in both is 2A.

my main question is, how to power up the arduino with the GSM shield using the battery and the lipo rider, do I need to use a capacitor? is there a way to boost the current? what is the best way to do this?

here is a picture of my circuit:

here is a link of the circuit in case its not showing:
circuit

guys anyone ?

If the Liporider can only provide 1A then it can't provide over 2A. You need to use something else that can provide the required current.

The battery looks as though it can provide plenty of power so you could always use the Liporider just for charging the battery. Then you could power the rest through a 3.7V-5V step-up converter direct from the battery. E.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Step-up-Converter-3V-3-7V-4-2V-to-5V-3A-15W-Lithium-battery-Boost-Power-/172033117391

Steve

slipstick: If the Liporider can only provide 1A then it can't provide over 2A. You need to use something else that can provide the required current.

the battery is supposed to provide even 10 A, however when I tried to connect it directly, it didn't work can I use the battery to connect to the GSM shield, and power up the arduino from the lipo output, I mean I connect the battery to both the GSM shield and to the lipo rider ?

Isn't the battery a 3.7v LiPo? Do your components run well at that voltage? Steve pointed you to one step up DC-DC. Here is one that I purchased, but have not had a chance to use yet.

You really do need 5V @ at least 2A. There are many DC-DC step-up converters that will work e.g. here's a another - from Hobbyking.

But I wouldn't expect trying to run things direct from the 3.7V lipo to work well.

Steve

vinceherman: Isn't the battery a 3.7v LiPo? Do your components run well at that voltage? Steve pointed you to one step up DC-DC. Here is one that I purchased, but have not had a chance to use yet.

yes the battery is 3.7V lipo, yes I am okay with the rest of the components NOT to work from the lipo rider because they might need 5V, however I just connected the battery to the GSM shield directly and excpected it to work but but it didn't, it turns on yes, however when its trying to connect to the network, it gets stuck which happened to me when the power is not enough, what might cause that ? do I need a capacitor ?

slipstick: But I wouldn't expect trying to run things direct from the 3.7V lipo to work well.

Steve

do you mean the GSM shield or the rest of the components ?

thanks for pointing out the DC - DC converter I am going to give it a shot with that.

I just got a DC - DC step up converter which can provide up to 4A max this one, and I stepped the voltage up to 5V , 6V , 7V and connected it to the Vin of the GSM shield but it seems like still the DC - DC converter is not able to provide enough current, what might be the issue?

I checked the voltage of the battery and its around 3.7V

You need to charge your lipo battery. Fully charged it should read 4.2V. By around 3.7V it is more than half empty.

And note that the specification for that converter says 5-32V is the optimum working voltage range.

Steve

humm if the battery needs to be fully charged all the time then there is no point of using the battery, I mean to make fully charge, I need a power source!

I am charging the battery now to double confirm this assumption, but is there a boost converter that just needs 3V input voltage and its working fine ?

@sabirmgd, stop cross-posting. Thread locked.