Powering up the Arduino Uno

I shorted 10V and ground by mistake at the 10V input (connected 10V to the ground there) :(. Is there any other way I can power up the board? The USB still works so I can still program the controller. Is there a way I can give a 5V directly to power up just the chip after programming?

Also, which component would I have spoiled because of this? Is it easy to replace it and repair the board?

It looks like connecting to the 5V, GND connections on the board works. Please do let me know if this is will damage anything. I would still like to know if I can replace what chip I've damaged.

There is nothing wrong with providing 5V on the 5V pin, as long as you do not attach USB or external power to Vin. In which case, you’ll have two sources providing 5V on the 5V node.

I’m not sure what you mean by “the 10V Input”. What 10V input?

I shorted 10V and ground by mistake at the 10V input (connected 10V to the ground there) :frowning:

What 10V input? What exactly did you connect to ground?
Do you mean you applied 10V at the DC plug?

Also, which component would I have spoiled because of this? Is it easy to replace it and repair the board?

Depends on where you applied 10V and where you shorted it.
I don't think that shorting 10V directly at the DC plug would damage anything on the board. It could fry or blow a fuse in your power supply though.

If you connected 10V to the DC plug and shorted the Vin pin to ground you might have killed the D1 diode that sits next to the DC connector.
It should be both cheap and quite easy to replace if that is the case. It's a M7 diode (1n4007).

I meant that I connected a 12V lead acid battery to the DC plug. I touched the positive terminal to the ground over there. Saw a few sparks at the connecting wire and the board stopped powering up through the DC plug.

Ashwith:
I meant that I connected a 12V lead acid battery to the DC plug. I touched the positive terminal to the ground over there. Saw a few sparks at the connecting wire and the board stopped powering up through the DC plug.

My guess is the diode or the voltage regulator.
Check the diode using an ohm meter. It should have very high or infinite resistance in one direction and almost no resistance in the other direction.

Thank you perhof. I'll check both of these out.