Practical example of softwareserial, 2 Unos, servos, and a joystick?

Hi,
I am using softwareserial for 2 Unos to speak to each other. One of them, the 'master', has a joystick and the other, the 'salve', has a tilt/pan camera unit and {future} other sensors. I will be using the master to send joystick position information to the slave along with requests for other sensor data. Although crude, I have a working system.

I have found very basic examples of code for each of the individual items - reading a joystick, controlling a servo, and communication of the 2 boards via softwareserial. What I have put together is a command string that consist of a command and associated data. For example, to move the camera the command string is "C1_192|40!". "C1" is the command to move the camera, "_" is a delimiter, "192|40" are the servo pan and tilt values, "|" is a delimiter, and the "!" is end-of-message indicator. My system will have various Cx commands and each, depending upon what that command is, could have a data string following it.

As I said, I have something that is working and, before going forward, I would like to compare what I have done to other solutions. So, what I am looking for is more practical sample code of sending and parsing various messages (move a servo, read a sensor, etc) from the master to the salve and back. Something more real world than the "Hello World" type of examples I am finding. I know how I have done it and I want to compare that to the accomplishments of others - maybe, and quite possibly, I would see something that I could learn from and would be an improvement to my implementation.

So, what I am asking is...does anyone know of any sample/example code that may be a good read for me? Links to them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

I find it interesting that you mention you have a working version of the code when softwareserial and servo libraries are NOT EVEN COMPATABLE (they both demand use of the same timer - I think it's timer2).

Either way, you should look at this: link

Power_Broker:
I find it interesting that you mention you have a working version of the code when softwareserial and servo libraries are NOT EVEN COMPATABLE (they both demand use of the same timer - I think it's timer2).

timer1

Power_Broker:

While searching for the things I inquired about in this thread I did find mentions of them not working together. I have not read into those pages for the specifics because (1) I do have something working I assumed them to be issues with earlier versions of the libraries and (2) it wasn't specific to what I was searching at the time (and I REALLY have to fight the urge to follow rabbit trails of interest when I am searching for something specific). You mentioning it, however, does make me curious and I will go see what isn't supposed to work and compare that to what I am doing.

Either way, you should look at this: link

Thanks. I glanced at it and it looks like a good discussion. More than I can read tonight...maybe tomorrow during lunch.

Thanks.