Pressure controlled led

Afternoon,

I've stumbled across here in the hope that somebody might be able to help me with a little query. I'm not a programmer and don't really understand how the Arduino works at all but have seen lots of cool projects that it controls this might be the solution I am looking for.

What i need to achieve is a way of changing the color of RGB LED tape when somebody jumps on a pressure switch. Would anybody on here have an idea to make this work?

Many Thanks Alex

Do you have a particular switch in mind as there are both analogue (value changes on amount of pressure) and digital (value is either HIGH/LOW depending if pressed or not). Someone jumping on a switch means it needs to be quite robust and first though would be a hall sensor and a magnet that measure the deflection of the surface being jumped on. As it would be a non contact switch it should not suffer wear and tear like a normal switch would and excess pressure sould not break it if you have some form of mechanical stop on the surface deflection.

Thank for the reply, as for the switch i'd guess at a digital one. All that needs to happen is when the switch is jumped on the box lights up, and changes its color each time its jumped on, would be good if it could mix between the RGB too.

There's a function in Arduino that generates a random number, whose lower and upper limits can be set by command.

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Random

So each time the button is pressed (or jumped on 8) ), generate 3 randoms each from 0-255 and use the command digitalWrite() to send those values to the 3 colour legs of the LED.

aburrows94: Thank for the reply, as for the switch i'd guess at a digital one. All that needs to happen is when the switch is jumped on the box lights up, and changes its color each time its jumped on, would be good if it could mix between the RGB too.

Will the box be self contained (power, LED, switch & controller) so it can be picked up and moved or is the switch and light up box separate? Mixing could be as simple as using a HSV colour wheel and incrementing the angle (RGB colour) every time the person jumps on the switch. Or using set colours that get selected in sequence/at random on switch presses and cutting/fading between them.

This sounds like it might well work then :) It will be an integral unit.

Next question is then are there certain pressure switches that work with the board? and what sort of program will need to be written for this to work?

Well a switch is a switch, so you might Google and see what kind have switch can withstand being stomped on. If you find one that's a switch, well as I say, that's a switch, and the Arduino can see it being off or on. What's in a DDR mat, for example?

As for the program, fairly trivial.