Prevent relay arcing

Hi,

I am using an arduino controlled relay which inturn controls a motor starter (a contactor coil working at 230volts). There is arcing of the relay contacts at make and break time of relay contacts.
Whats are the various ways to prevent the relay arcing to prolong relay life?

The contactor coil voltage is fixed (230V) but the coil may have a different resistance and inductance since its part of customer equipment and hence will differ from installation to installation, if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
WonderfulIOT

Hi,

The two approaches I know about are:

"RC Snubber" which is a capacitor in series with a resistor connected across the contacts
A lot of discussion HERE

MOV "Metal Oxide Varistor" these come with different voltage ratings. 300V would probably be appropriate in this case. If the switching is not rapid the MOV does not need high power rating.

Some discussion HERE

Examples HERE

wonderfuliot:
Hi,

I am using an arduino controlled relay which inturn controls a motor starter (a contactor coil working at 230volts). There is arcing of the relay contacts at make and break time of relay contacts.
Whats are the various ways to prevent the relay arcing to prolong relay life?

The contactor coil voltage is fixed (230V) but the coil may have a different resistance and inductance since its part of customer equipment and hence will differ from installation to installation, if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
WonderfulIOT

You DO NOT want to eliminate all the arcing. That is what keeps the contacts clean and allows a very low resistance between the contacts.

Paul