Priceless in a really sad way.

The look on Zelensky's face at the UN when his new friend tells him they will be getting along with Putin soon.

Gee, he was smiling before that.

Yeah, well Putin is a winner. And most of the leaders on the west are losers.

Go figure.

Putin is a thief who tears his own nation down to enrich himself and his gang. Trump is the same.

And Zelensy has just been invited to go deep sea fishing with his new friends.

Zelensy is a kid caught between two school bullies.

Putin is a thief who tears his own nation down to enrich himself and his gang. Trump is the same.

The difference is Putin is incredibly popular, Trump is not. He’s a wannabe.

Al Capone was "tremendously popular" in his time and place as was Adolph Hitler. What's your point, "comrade"?

I guess that people follow people who are popular? It’s pretty stupid to compare Putin to Hitler.

Hitler was very popular in his own nation. Your criteria of best is popularity after all.

Stalin was very popular too, those who thought different died along with their family and village even if they were only thought to think different. Who will say that glorious leader is not a great guy?

And yeah I can understand how hardline right wing nutcases would want that everywhere.

There isn’t a requirement to be “good guy” to be a “great leader” Trump and Putin both aren’t “good guys” but only one of them is a “great leader” and absent any “great leaders” in the west the world will follow Putin.

Qdeathstar: but only one of them is a “great leader” and absent any “great leaders” in the west the world will follow Putin.

Is Putin a "great leader"?

The thing I like most about democracy is that the "leader" (whether good or bad) goes away peacefully at the end of his period in office.

...R

His people think he is.

Qdeathstar: His people think he is.

Putin was popular at one time, I am not so sure about now. Stalin seems to be enjoying a resurgence in Russia, but then Russia did win the WW2 under him.

Trump is a nothing, but a divisive and dangerous nothing.

Who said "You cannot fool all of the people all of the time but you can fool some of the people all of the time and they are my demographic"?

Qdeathstar: His people think he is.

History suggests that that is not sufficient evidence.

"Popular" yes. "Great" ?

...R

ardly: Who said "You cannot fool all of the people all of the time but you can fool some of the people all of the time and they are my demographic"?

Bitch McConnell. One of the bigger criminals behind Trump.

Robin2: Is Putin a "great leader"?

When your criteria for great is popular-or-else in your tightly controlled domain.

Hence the compares to other dictators who had goon-enforced popularity.

What Trump is about is "we can have that here too, our very own Oligarchy, what say?".

Hitler had Krupp and buddies behind him and Trump has Koch and friends pushing the same.

Putin is less popular because he figuratively eats people, even supporters, but it's too late for them.

Yeah that look on Zelensy's face! He's riding the tiger and just found out that the tiger is taking him to the jackal.

Xi is very popular as well. No need to be in denial about the fall of western civilization folks, its happening. It had a good run.

great leaders are great leaders because people follow them. If people don’t follow them they aren’t leaders. What criteria would you use besides popularity?

Democracy is a popularity contest.

Great leaders do great things and the crap leaders take their country into repression and ruin.

BTW, just how well is the Russian stock market doing these days?

Putin is popular wherever Putin controls the polls and the government to jail those who say different.

In the west we have dissent because we allow people the right to think and say what Russia, China, etc, do not.

I can understand Russians not being able to understand what freedom is except in vague dreams. It'd be something like being a strict religious nut unable to understand what dancing and smiling are about yet are able to forgive their pastor for being caught with a hooker.

GoForSmoke: yet are able to forgive their pastor for being caught with a hooker.

Well ... we all know it was all HER fault. :)

...R

In any case I thought that the premise of "popular" meaning "better" or "great" needed a little reductio ad absurdum.

That includes the premise that repressed people give accurate answers. Centuries ago, swordpoint conversions made Islam popular and for a fact all those who disagreed were killed leaving only "positive" responses.

Who wants to live in a world run by sociopaths? Hail Putin and vote Trump to put everyone in line!