print ascii?

Hi All, This page gives a pretty decent sumation of print function. http://arduino.cc/en/Serial/Print

in an earlier bit of code, I wrote serveral strings to the EEPROM. when reading them, I can only have DEC, OCT, HEX, and BIN, as seen in the print page options. I would like to print the ascii-encoded ascii equivalent. Beyond that, I would like to write something like :

println(value, ASCII);

and get the ascii equivent value.

So i think I will need to edit the print function, but maybe this nifty functionality alread exists? (If so, how can i use it?) Alternatively, and perhaps more realisticaly, I may have to write this function so, Where is the "print" code located? Am I going to be editing java? (java newb here) I am using arduino 1.5.5, on a linux platform.

ASCII is a base 10 number ( DEC ).

You can print out a char: Serial.print( 'a' ); // == a Serial.write( 'a' ); //== a

Or print the ascii value of a char: Serial.print( 'a', DEC ); // == 97

At the very top of the print() page...

print() Description

Prints data to the serial port as human-readable ASCII text. This command can take many forms. Numbers are printed using an ASCII character for each digit. Floats are similarly printed as ASCII digits, defaulting to two decimal places. Bytes are sent as a single character. Characters and strings are sent as is.

You probably want "Serial.write()", but you could get away with "Serial.print((char) c)" (presumably you are reading your eeprom into a variable that is of a type other than "char")

Sorry for the dealy!, Thank you westfw, this is exactly what i was looking for.

westfw: You probably want "Serial.write()", but you could get away with "Serial.print((char) c)" (presumably you are reading your eeprom into a variable that is of a type other than "char")