Printing data using SoftwareSerial for UNO

I'm a newbie, so any advice is appreciated as I'm still learning about serial communication.

I am trying to program a Plantower PMS5003 particulate sensor and print the data using the IDE serial monitor. I'm using an UNO which only has one hardware serial port (D0, D1), so I believe I have to use the SoftwareSerial library (or another similar library) as I need 2 serial comms (one for printing and one for the sensor).

Here is my code where I use SoftwareSerial to communicate with the sensor, and print the data with the hardware port:

#include "PMS.h"
#include "SoftwareSerial.h"

SoftwareSerial softSerial(2, 3); //(RX, TX)

PMS pms(softSerial);
PMS::DATA data;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);   // Hardware serial port: prints data
  softSerial.begin(9600);  // Software serial port: communicates w/ PMS5003 sensor via pms() library
}

void loop()
{
  if (pms.read(data)){

Serial.print("PM 2.5 (ug/m3): ");
    Serial.println(data.PM_AE_UG_2_5);
    Serial.println();
    delay(1000);
  }
}

The above code works well and prints out the values as expected. Although, I imagine I would have more reliable results if I do the inverse and instead have the hardware port (D0, D1) connected to the sensor. I tried the code and wiring below, but got no output. Does this make sense how I'm approaching this?

Sensor TX -> Arduino TX (D0)
Sensor RX -> Arduino TX (D1)

#include "PMS.h"
#include "SoftwareSerial.h"

SoftwareSerial softSerial(2, 3); //(RX, TX)

PMS pms(Serial);
PMS::DATA data;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);   // Hardware serial port: communicates w/ PMS5003 sensor via pms() library
  softSerial.begin(9600);  // Software serial port: prints data
}

void loop()
{
  if (pms.read(data)){

softSerial.print("PM 2.5 (ug/m3): ");
    softSerial.println(data.PM_AE_UG_2_5);
    softSerial.println();
    delay(1000);
  }
}

The hardware serial port is the only thing that will communicate with the Serial Monitor on your PC (since those pins are connected to the USB chip which connects to your PC). You can not do the switch you are proposing.