Printing Sensor Data to Google Sheets

I want to print the data from an Adafruit STEMMA Soil Sensor to a Google Sheet for storage and analysis. Is there any way to do this without using the ESP8266 or other additional hardware? If so, is there any example code or libraries to do this? How would I go about programming this?

You will need some form of Internet connection, and as a regular Arduino doesn't offer this you need some kind of external hardware.

Or just do away with the Arduino and have an ESP8266 based board do it all.

You probably want to just use an ESP8266. The only painful thing about it could be to get the library of your soil sensor running. The ESP 8266 dose not have hardware I2C pins. If the library is not adjusted for the Adafruit Feather ESP8266 you will likely run into difficulties.

If you are not capable of adjusting the library an easier way would be to get the data from the sensor with an Arduino. The Arduino can send the Data via Rx Tx pins to your ESP8266. The ESP8266 can connect to a WiFi and do an HTTP Post to your Google Sheet.

There are also other options. Like adding an Ethernet module to your Arduino. I personally tried this about 2 years ago with two different modules. Without going into details it was a rather painful experience. I would not recommend it to anybody if there is not a very good reason to do it without WiFi (ESP8288 / ESP32).

The ESP8266 is handling I2C just fine. Indeed it's done in software, so speed is limited to 100 kHz, but that's fine for most applications.

LowArt:
Like adding an Ethernet module to your Arduino. I personally tried this about 2 years ago with two different modules. Without going into details it was a rather painful experience. I would not recommend it to anybody if there is not a very good reason to do it without WiFi (ESP8288 / ESP32).

Probably user incompetence both times, or a bad choice of module both times. You have to have some extra hardware and an ESP of some sort is an obvious choice and cheap, but the standard wiznet Ethernet shield for Arduino is just fine, nobody complains, and you get an SD slot at no extra charge.

Na, na, na... carfull with the “I” word my friend. BTW dose not sound like you tested it yourself :wink:

I used a shield with an w5100 chip. Sadly, one of the implanted SMD resistor had a to high value and it would produce random errors if connected directly to the router but not the switch I tested it on.

After figuring this out I switched to a backup module with an ENC28J60 chip but the library I used was not exactly flawless. I got it working but it was not a: “connected the hardware, download a library, be happy” thing.