Pro Mini Confusion

I was looking at the Eagle files for the Pro Mini recently, downloaded from here: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini and I don't know whether I'm getting confused or what, but are the screen print of the FTDI connector pins wrongly identified in the photo on the same page?

I saw some Chinese clones on ebay and while they call the GRN and BLK pins both GND, their pinout conforms to the Eagle .brd file, while the photo doesn't - it seems to be round the wrong way.

Its probably been noted before (or not if I'm totally cross-eyed and wrong :blush:) but I couldn't find any mentions anywhere. Please end my confusion - then I can make up my mind whether to buy or build!

I have designed many a board using the FTDI header naming convention as shown on the Promini PDF file, and FTDI Basics always plug directly on and work.

Board: FTDI Basic:
DTR (in) DTR (out)
TX out - to uC Tx Rx in - to FT232 Rx
RX in - to uC Rx Tx out - to FT232 Tx
VCC 3.3V or 5V (jumper) out
CTS (GND) CTS (input)
GND GND

What I mean is that the JP1 header pins are all in the same order, but round the other way. IE, from top to bottom looking at the topside of the board (JP1 on the right) the pin ids are labelled as:

Photo: Eagle .brd file, silk screen ids: BLK GRN GND TXO VCCx RXI RXI VCC TXO GND GRN BLK

So the Eagle file agrees with your board ids, but the photo infers the labels should be the other way up.

I used 15 prominis at my fencing club, programmed each one by sliding an FTDI Basic onto it. Maybe you're just looking at it funny.

Hehe - you're probably right. The ol' eyes ain't what they used to be. I'm going to order up one of the ebay clones - they're cheap enough, if for nothing else other than to just compare it to the photo of the Arduino Pro Mini - and get rid of my befuddlement!

I have bought a bunch of these cheap Arduino Pro Mini boards from ebay. All have the FTDI pins mirrored.

To program them turn the FTDI breakout or cable upside down. That's all.

Chip side down on this one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10275

BW: These cheap Pro Mini (5V/16Mhz) work fine with a 3.7V battery connected to the VCC and GND pin.

Cheers!

Thanks! Nice to know I'm not as senile as I thought!

Still intrigued by the fact that the clone pins are laid out in the same way as the Eagle file :~