pro mini power saving not working with library

Hey,

i am using a pro mini 3.3V 328p with 8Mhz. I am powering it directly via Vin with 3.3V. I have removed the regulator and the power LED. I am measuring my current consumption with a multimeter in series. When running the pro mini just normaly it takes around 3.6mA, which is similiar to other sources I have found. To further reduce the consumption I am using the lowpower.h library GitHub - rocketscream/Low-Power: Low Power Library for Arduino

I am using the example for sleeping 8s:

// **** INCLUDES *****
#include "LowPower.h"

void setup()
{
    // No setup is required for this library
}

void loop() 
{
    // Enter power down state for 8 s with ADC and BOD module disabled
    LowPower.powerDown(SLEEP_8S, ADC_OFF, BOD_OFF);  

// Do something here
    // Example: Read sensor, data logging, data transmission.
}

Now I am consuming around 180uA. All other sources I have found get it down to 5uA in sleep mode. Any Ideas why i am still quite high with my consumption?
I have nothing else connected to the pro mini.

Greetings and Thanks

jacko91:
I have nothing else connected to the pro mini.

Greetings and Thanks

Are you really sure there is 'nothing' else connected ?

Can we have a picture of the measurement being carried out, and showing the Pro Mini ?

Read Nick Gammon's thread about all the ways to save power. I don't know if that library does all of those and/or how much else is connected to the pro mini board.

The RocketScream lowpower library does work, the code posted will put the processor into a circa 6-8uA sleep for circa 8 seconds.

srnet:
The RocketScream lowpower library does work, the code posted will put the processor into a circa 6-8uA sleep for circa 8 seconds.

In fact, it is unmodified library example code.

Hey,

yes I am pretty sure the lib works in generall. I think the problem comes from something else.

Attached is the pro mini (pro_mini.jpg) and i have drawn my setup with the powersupply, pro mini and the multimeter. For verification of the measurement I also measured using the ucurrent gold from eevblog with an oszi. Same result of 180uA. On the mini I dont see any additional unusual electronics which could be the reason for it.

!(https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=687706.0;attach=366477/img]

)

Can you please rotate the board so we can see it? Nobody cares about the Dupont connectors.

Also, please explain what a "ucurrent gold from eevblog with an oszi" is? Most people probably wouldn't know that from a "discombobulated floobyduster".

top view attached.

Thank you. See the forum instructions for how to post images...

How about a shot of the multimeter, showing the settings and reading?

Hey,

i have been testing two more pro minis with the same result.

Here is my multimeter reading:

Here some updates:

after ordering a couple minis from different sources i now have some pro minis with the consumption down to 4uA.

So it either was some kind of fake atmega or something else. The atmegas from the "fake" ones had thermal paste all over the ic (maybe to cover up something, dont know). Anyways, very happy to finally have super low power minis.
Here both minis: (left the one with 4uA low power, right one with 170uA)

Thanks for all the input

jacko91:
Here some updates:

after ordering a couple minis from different sources i now have some pro minis with the consumption down to 4uA.

So it either was some kind of fake atmega or something else. The atmegas from the "fake" ones had thermal paste all over the ic (maybe to cover up something, dont know). Anyways, very happy to finally have super low power minis.
Here both minis: (left the one with 4uA low power, right one with 170uA)

Thanks for all the input

Which is the 'left' one ?

The one on the top or the one on the bottom of the picture ?