Problem Connecting Arduino Mega 2560 R3

Hello, After having bought the product mentioned in the title, I tried connecting to a Windows XP SP3 laptop, but the computer did not detect it. I repeated the experiment on different devices with the following operative systems: another computer running WinXP SP3, a computer running Windows 7 and a Macintosh running OSX 10.5.8. None of these detected the Arduino. The experiments were made with two different cables which have been functioning with other peripherals.

Next, I tried to force Windows XP to detect the hardware and installed the drivers provided by ide 1.0.2. By the end of the installation, I was shown the error code 10 (This device cannot start) and the following was on the system information page:

Device: Arduino Mega R3 (com6) PNP Device ID: ROOT\UNKNOWN\0000 Error Code: This device cannot start

I verified the Windows registry and found the key (RumOnce)as already suggested on another topic of the forum.

I would be glad if anyone could help me with this problem. Thank you for your attention.

What is the VID/PID of the Arduino in Device Manager?

Open Device Manager Right Click the Device Manager \ Other Devices \ unknown device Select Properties Select Details tab Choose Hardware Ids from the Property drop-down What is the Hardware Ids that show in the Value section?

This will help determine what drivers should be loaded for your Arduino.

Thank you for your comment.

I opened the device manager and the VID/PID is as follows: usb\vid_2341&pid_0042.

I'm awaiting for your answer. Thanks in advance.

Here are the steps that I use to install drivers:

Right click the Unknown Device in Device Manager
Select Update Driver Software
Select Browse my computer for software
Click Browse button
Select the Drivers folder under the location of your Arduino software installation. (Do not select the FTDI folder inside the Drivers folder)
Click OK
Click Next

Alternativelly you can try my modded IDE:,118440.0.html

It auto-configures everything.


I would like to thank everyone for your help and time. However, I've found out the problem was the damaged item; I bought another one and everything is running smoothly now.

Thanks anyway!

I am locking this thread/topic as I no longer need help.