Problem downloading to Mini Pro with Serial USB

Hi,

I have just got my first Arduino Mini Pro, and I can't get the download to work. I am getting the message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I am using Arduino - 0014 software and selecting Board "Arduino Mini". Using Win XP I am using the Serial USB Board. TX of the USB board to RX of the Mini Pro, and RX of the USB to TX of the Mini Pro. On the Mini Pro, vcc and rst to +5v and gnd to ground.

The red led is on and the green led flashes slow, then faster, repeat on the Mini Pro. I push the reset button on the Mini Pro, then download, but get the error every time. Tx on the USB Board flashes a few times, then nothing

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Which USB serial board? You might need one with DTR or RTS that you can connect to the corresponding line on the Mini Pro (I think the one labelled GRN). The Mini Pro has a bootloader with a short timeout, so it can be hard to time the pressing of the reset button and hitting upload without automatic reset.

Yes, that is what I needed to do. I am using the Mini USB adapter (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/MiniUSB). I referred to a FTDI Basic breakout and mimicked that. Now it is working great.

Thanks for your help.