Problem:ESP32 USB device not recognized, used to work but suddenly malfunctioned

Hello Arduino community, I have an ESP32 DOIT DEVKIT V1 board problem. I was able to program it with a usb cable with no problems and got detected by my laptop. Then, all of a sudden, I got an error from windows 10 saying “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it”.

When I go to the control panel, under “Universal Serial Bus controllers”, it shows a “Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)”. I have searched many different forums, videos and more to try to find a solution applicable and I have updated the drivers, uninstalled the USB devices in “Device Manager” and have tried 2 cables that have data lines in them. I also tried it on 3 laptops (Windows and MacOS) with the same result. In Arduino IDE, when trying to upload any sketch, it says: “the selected serial port Failed to execute script esptool does not exist or your board is not connected”. I have tried so many ways to try to make my esp32 work but none have had any effect on the problem.

Error messages:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1, 80MHz, 921600, None"

Sketch uses 214261 bytes (16%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 15428 bytes (4%) of dynamic memory, leaving 312252 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
esptool.py v2.6
Serial port COM5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "esptool.py", line 2959, in <module>
  File "esptool.py", line 2952, in _main
  File "esptool.py", line 2652, in main
  File "esptool.py", line 222, in __init__
  File "site-packages\serial\__init__.py", line 88, in serial_for_url
  File "site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'COM5': WindowsError(2, 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
Failed to execute script esptool
the selected serial port Failed to execute script esptool
 does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Once again, I am using Windows 10 but have also used MacOS

I can not express how greatly I appreciate any answers and resolutions to this problem. Thank you for reading this question.
:slight_smile:

usb_notRecognized.jpg

What application on the computer are you using to connect to the board with? Assuming the board has a setial USB chip, when the board is plugged in, go to device manager and see if the board has been detected as a comport device.

Hi, I don’t understand your question about what app I am using to connect the board to the computer. I am programming it with arduino ide with the esp32 drivers. When I connect the board, in device manager it shows the unrecognized device in the universal serial bus controllers like usual but not in com ports. Yes, the board has a serial to USB converter. Thanks for reaching out.

If you have anything connected to your ESP32 board (e.g., modules, wiring, shields), disconnect it and then connect the ESP32 board alone to your computer to see if that fixes the problem.

pert: If you have anything connected to your ESP32 board (e.g., modules, wiring, shields), disconnect it and then connect the ESP32 board alone to your computer to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for your input. The issue is that I have been doing all the testing and checking of the board without anything but the computer connected. I have no wiring, boards, shields, etc. connected.

Disconnect everything.

Reboot PC.

ieee488: Disconnect everything.

Reboot PC.

Hi, I tried to reboot my pc many times before and I tried it again, but to no effect. Thanks for replying! :)

You have more than one USB port, have you tried that?

Have you tried on another PC?

Could be something with Windows 10. I would look to see if there are new drivers for your model of PC specifically any in the chipset category.

ieee488: You have more than one USB port, have you tried that?

Have you tried on another PC?

Could be something with Windows 10. I would look to see if there are new drivers for your model of PC specifically any in the chipset category.

Hi, I have tried all four USB ports on my pc, and all display the same error. I have tried with 3 computers with all USB ports on each (2 windows, 1 MacOS) and still have the same issue. Eventually, I also updated the chipset drivers for windows for the exact model of my laptop to no success. None of the things I tried worked. :confused:

Hi,

I have the same problem, I get sptool and there is no way. I have restarted the computer, tried all the USB sockets, and tried two different ftdi, and nothing.

santravis: Hi,

I have the same problem, I get sptool and there is no way. I have restarted the computer, tried all the USB sockets, and tried two different ftdi, and nothing.

Hi Santravis, thanks for your info. Since I have tried so many things to solve this problem and have received no solution, I decided to order another esp32 (this time I ordered an esp32 cam, with an FTDI programmer) and it worked. Since I had tried it too with another few cables and knew that the cable I had worked, I figured that something may have happened to the board (Maybe for some reason it got damaged?). Either way, I can't use it anymore, but now I have a new one with a similar chip, and it works.

In response to your issue, why do you need an FTDI programmer? Is it the esp32 Devkit DOIT V1 board (Same as my broken one), or is it another type?

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I have the same problem and couldn’t figure out why and how to fix this connection error.

In addition to the error message, I noticed that the metal box area of my ESP32 board gets warm while it’s connected to the computer. Not sure if this is normal or an indication of malfunction.

Anyway, I’ll try with a new board and see if it fixes it.

Hey arduino_explrer,

If your board is getting warm, but “normal” warm (isn’t concerningly warm), it’s probably fine, especially since this board has lots to handle and a lot of pins. Mine also gets warm, but I eventually gave up on it since it didn’t work at all. I could see the LED on, but the board couldn’t get code uploaded. I later got an esp32 CAM board, and now I use that instead, since I needed the camera either way. You should probably try a new board, because it isn’t worth losing your mind over a problem like this, especially if you have the exact same problem as me. If you do though, I would suggest checking with other USB ports and check with other computers if you can. It might be a problem with your USB ports, but if other devices work fine, then it’s probably the board.

Best of luck, and I hope you find the solution to the problem.