Problem reading 4-20 mA signal

Hi

I'm having trouble reading the 4-20mA signal from a solar radiation sensor. I'm using a 3 wire sensor as shown in the picture

Where R is 250 ohm and E is 12 V. Voltage v is what I'm trying to measure with A0 input of an Arduino UNO, but the read values oscillate between 0.4 to 1.7 v, while the value measured by a voltmeter shows an steady 0.974 v. I've already checked the sensor with other acquisition card and obtained steady readings, and checked the analog read input connecting it to the 3.3 v and 5 v references, obtaining steady values in the Arduino.

The code I'm using for the test is the ReadAnalogVoltage example

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  // read the input on analog pin 0:
  int sensorValue = analogRead(A0);
  // Convert the analog reading (which goes from 0 - 1023) to a voltage (0 - 5V):
  float voltage = sensorValue * (5.0 / 1023.0);
  // print out the value you read:
  Serial.println(voltage);
  delay(1000);
}

I Would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Maybe the actual signal is that unstable?

Your Arduino takes a moment-in-time measurement, your voltmeter will show an average over time. What your voltmeter shows (0.97V) is very close to the average of 0.4 and 1.7V (1.05V).

Connect a scope to see what really comes out of that sensor.

Try using an analog voltmeter as digital meters have sampling involved. On the digital voltmeter change to AC and you will see the RMS value of variation in your signal. Solid steady DC should read zero, a signal fluctuating 0.4 to 1.7V (like yours) should have a distinct non-zero value. Post back your results.