Problem receiving 4 UDP packets in rapid sequence

I have a simple sketch to receive UDP packets. The packets come in short bursts at about 50ms.
I can successfully receive bursts of 3 packets for extended periods of time with very few misses. If I go to 4 packets it misses the 4th packet every time, so I get the first, second and third and the next packet is first one from the next group.
I initially used a W5100 shield, but then I switched to a W5500 which I understand is faster and has larger buffers. There is no improvement.
This is with packets of around 600 bytes. If I lower the packet size I can get 4.
I totally understand that if the packets come fast the code reading them through the SPI will have a limit. But if my 4 packets can fit in the W5500 Rx buffer there is plenty of time to read them all until the next burst.
It seems as if the buffer cannot hold the frames containing four 600 byte UDP packets, which seems very little compared to the buffer room on the chip. Or that the EthernetUdp API I am using is limiting somehow.

The fragment below shows how I’ve been testing this. The network used for testing is private and isolated to avoid noise like broadcasts etc.

uint16_t readPacket(uint8_t *payloadBuffer){
  int packetSize, payloadSize;

while (1) {
      packetSize = Udp.parsePacket();
      if (packetSize) {
        payloadSize = Udp.read(payloadBuffer, packetSize);
        break;
      }
  }
  return payloadSize;
}

void loop() {

/* receive a packet into the buffer 
  */
    uint16_t ps = readPacket(PAYLOAD_BUF);

/* simulate a condition when the program takes too long to process packets coming in rapid
     *  sequence
     */
//     delay(10);

// check if the packet is valid - just by size
    if (ps < 127) {
      // too small
      Serial.print(F("Received payload size too small:"));
      Serial.println(ps);
      return;  //bail out of this packet
    } 

// error logging
    if (last_u != PAYLOAD_BUF[COUNTER_BYTE_OFFSET]) {
      Serial.print(F("warning, received/expected: "));
      Serial.print(PAYLOAD_BUF[COUNTER_BYTE_OFFSET]);
      Serial.print(F("/"));
      Serial.println(last_u);
      // increment error counter
      gec++;
    }

// [re]set the next expected packet number
    last_u = PAYLOAD_BUF[COUNTER_BYTE_OFFSET] + 1;
    if (last_u > MAX_BURST) {
      last_u = 1; //roll over
    }

}

I can't answer specifically.

But I think you can do it easily.

As you say, I think you have to change the defined value of buffer size in source codes.
It is possible that you have to change two or three defines.

And It is possible that it is not a value,but it is state which it is defined or undefined.

I experienced it in sending a large size data by mqtt.

Each socket has 2KB Rx buffer in W5500.
so, 600*4 = 2400Byte > 2KB
in this case, 4th packet will be missing.

I think, you should increase socket RX buffer size. As I know, each Socket RX buffer size can be changed.
For this change, please look into "uint8_t W5100Class::init(void)" in W5100.h file.