Problem Restoring Arduino Yun to Factory Defaults

Recently, I tried changing the wireless card on my Yun to use a static ip. Something went wrong, and the Yun couldn't connect to the network any longer. As it was already configured and it was w/o internet, I couldn't connect to it. and was forced to do a factory restore. After power cycling on-off-on the WLAN rst for over 30 seconds each, the Yun appeared again as a network device. Connecting to it is fine, but the default password isn't working for logging into it. Any ideas? Is this the proper way to completely reset or am I missing something? Thanks! :cold_sweat: :)

Try the password you last set, normally it is retained after the wlan reset.

If all else fails load the yunserialterminal sketch over USB, open the serial monitor and run passed passwd (!@#$% autocorrect!)

If all else fails load the yunserialterminal sketch over USB, open the serial monitor and run passed.

+1

I recently messed around with some network settings I shouldn't have and needless to say the yun was bricked :blush: . No matter how many times I mashed all the reset buttons, nothing different. I ended up running the yunserialterminal, waiting for failsafe mode then typing:reset-to-factory-anyway And voila! Not saying you should immediately try this, as it is a last resort...Just keep it in the back of your mind.

Ok, so I've loaded the sketch and entered fail-safe mode. But can't get to the point of calling "cd usr/bin" and "./reset-to-factory-anyway" because boot-up freezes at "[ 41.460000] fuse init (API version 7.20)." I've tried multiple times and it always stops at this point. Any more ideas?

read this: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=224054.0

But can't get to the point of calling "cd usr/bin" and "./reset-to-factory-anyway" because boot-up freezes at "[ 41.460000] fuse init (API version 7.20)." I've tried multiple times and it always stops at this point.

I had a similar issue with the freezing. I remember having to repeatedly try it. Try disconnecting from your power source then upload the sketch then enter failsafe. It may require a few times. It's a PITA I know but it should work after a few attempts. I remember typing a '~' and '~' to enter the console and it working...

This is from the yunserialterminal tutorial page. I also remember setting the baud rate to 115200, but I don't think that's relevant:

From the serial monitor the following commands can be issued:

'~' followed by '0' -> Set the UART speed to 57600 baud '~' followed by '1' -> Set the UART speed to 115200 baud '~' followed by '2' -> Set the UART speed to 250000 baud '~' followed by '3' -> Set the UART speed to 500000 baud '~' followed by '~' -> Sends the bridge's shutdown command to obtain the console.

[ 41.460000] fuse init (API version 7.20).

This is in the final steps of the boot process, if you are getting this far you missed failsafe mode.

You have to be VERY quick to interrupt the boot process, I do it this way:

1. Upload YunSerialTerminal
  2. Open Serial Monitor
  3. Put an "f" in the box at the top of the Serial Monitor
  4. Push YunRST button by the leds
  5. Have the cursor over the "Send" button at the upper right of the Serial Monitor
  6. Click "Send" when "Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode" comes up

You should see this:

[    5.290000] Error: Driver 'gpio-keys-polled' is already registered, aborting...
[    5.330000] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Multi    Flash Reader     1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
- preinit -
Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
f
- failsafe -
/etc/preinit: line 1: telnetd: not found

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-08-07 16:16:02 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

___                   ___                       ___           ___     
     /\__\      ___        /\__\          ___        /\__\         /\  \    
    /:/  /     /\  \      /::|  |        /\  \      /::|  |       /::\  \   
   /:/  /      \:\  \    /:|:|  |        \:\  \    /:|:|  |      /:/\:\  \  
  /:/  /       /::\__\  /:/|:|  |__      /::\__\  /:/|:|  |__   /:/  \:\  \ 
 /:/__/     __/:/\/__/ /:/ |:| /\__\  __/:/\/__/ /:/ |:| /\__\ /:/__/ \:\__\
 \:\  \    /\/:/  /    \/__|:|/:/  / /\/:/  /    \/__|:|/:/  / \:\  \ /:/  /
  \:\  \   \::/__/         |:/:/  /  \::/__/         |:/:/  /   \:\  /:/  / 
   \:\  \   \:\__\         |::/  /    \:\__\         |::/  /     \:\/:/  /  
    \:\__\   \/__/         /:/  /      \/__/         /:/  /       \::/  /   
     \/__/                 \/__/                     \/__/         \/__/   

_______                     ________        __
           |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
           |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
           |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
                    |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M

root@(none):/#

Notice the boot counter has only gotten to [ 5.330000] when failsafe is available, the fuse init is at [ 41.460000]

Make sure you are in failsafe with the root@(none):/#prompt, if you see

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  4  3  0 
ar7240>

you are uboot, just press the YunRST again and wait for failsafe

You are right, noblepepper. The Yun isn't entering failsafe mode. I'm entering the f key in time, but it's being ignored and continuing in the same mode. Here's some of the printout.

• preinit - Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode f - regular preinit - [ 9.850000] jffs2: notice: (528) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 2 of xdatum (1 unchecked, 1 orphan) and 26 of xref (0 dead, 14 orphan) found.

Notice the "f" before "- preinit -." Strange.

Yes, you are getting the "f" in but the output continues on the same line.

Is the line ending at the bottom of the serial monitor set to Newline?

Thank you, Duke and noblepepper! Set the ending to newline and was able to get in and change the password. Thanks so much. Thought this was a dead end.

Thought the password issue was resolved after resetting using the serial terminal. However, upon attempting to connect through either the web GUI or via ssh, the new password is also not recognized and the original error message remains. I've tried resetting the password again and again to no avail. Is this a lost cause?

Original error message? I see no mention of a error message in this thread.