Problem seeing Arduino on computer

Hi all,

I am brand new to the arduino world. I am trying to create this project.

i have the woodworking part mostly done and have moved on to the electronics. This is the arduino I purchased, based on the recommendation of the video creator.

I downloaded the mac software here. I am on a mac airbook on Mac OS High Sierra. I have the arduino plugged into my usb port on my mac and the LEDs on the board are blinking.

In tools-->ports I am only seeing serial ports which is gray and the bluetooth connection, no usb port.

I tried on an old windows 8 laptop and Tools--> ports is gray. If I try Tools--> Get board info, it tells me to select a port. I tried compiling the program and it gives me an error with no board on com 1. I have Board set to Arduino Nano, Processor ATmega328P.

Again, I see the lights on on the board. I am using a cable I had laying around for a while, not sure if there is an update to the cable type that I need to have, but I assume if the lights are on that it is ok?

Any help is appreciated.

Nathan

You can use a regular USB cable but you should try a different cable or verify your cable works for data on another device because you may have a charge-only or defective cable that powers the board but doesn't have the data lines connected.

Thank you. Is there any chance you can link to the proper cable on Amazon so I can be sure to get the right one?

Many thanks.

Nathan

deadherring:
Thank you. Is there any chance you can link to the proper cable on Amazon so I can be sure to get the right one?

Many thanks.

Nathan

make sure it says data

something like https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-3-Pack-Micro-Braided-Charging/dp/B01JPDTZXK/

It's just an ordinary USB micro cable. I'm amazed if you don't already own several.

This was the cheapest suitable cable I saw after a quick search of Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFMY7V2
Note that I can't give any guarantees as to its quality but I haven't had any problems with the many much cheaper USB cables I own. Note that you can get them for significantly less on eBay or Aliexpress but you will need to wait for shipping from China. I don't know where this one is shipped from. You should be able to purchase these locally also since they're a very common item. I think you can usually get them from a dollar/pound store.

Thanks @ieee488, I ordered that cable. I had a bunch of old ones lying around but I use them to charge my headphone batteries, I would’t be surprised if they were just for power and not data.

Nathan

deadherring:
Thanks @ieee488, I ordered that cable. I had a bunch of old ones lying around but I use them to charge my headphone batteries, I would't be surprised if they were just for power and not data.

Nathan

I guess the manufacturers save a few pennies by connecting one less pin on the USB connector.

The mini USB-USB cables that I use to program my Nanos with mini USB connector were included with a digital camera and with a card reader so the data pin is connected on those.

I don't have any Nanos that have the micro USB connector, so I am not sure which of my micro USB cables will work.