problem uploading the blinking LED example

Hi, I just bought an Arduino Diecimila for use with my mac running 10.3.9. When I try to upload the the blinking led example to the board I get the following message:

dyld: tools/avr/bin/avrdude can't open library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Can anybody tell me what this mean and what I can do to get it working?

Kind regards, simon

Yea, it means I messed up when I made the PPC distribution of the software.

The PPC laptop I compiled avrdude on was running 10.4. I hoped the binary it generated would also work in 10.3.9, but apparently it doesn't. Short of an upgrade, you'll need to compile avrdude yourself. You can download the source from: http://www.arduino.cc/files/avrdude-5.4-arduino-src.tgz. You'll need to install Xcode (which you can get from Apple's developers site). And you'll probably need bison too: http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/

Or, if that sounds overwhelming and you don't mind waiting a bit, I can try to find a machine or a way to do that for you. Really, I should do that anyway, since I'd like to still support 10.3.9. Unfortunately, I don't have any computers around that are running it, so it's a bit more difficult than it should be.

I'm having the exact same problem when I try to upload the LED example. G4 PPC Powerbook, OSX.3.9 and an Arduino Diecimila with the error:

dyld: tools/avr/bin/avrdude can't open library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I've used Xcode a little trying to learn about writing Max/MSP externals but have zero experience with Bison. mellis is there an easy explanation of how to recompile avrdude and if not, any idea how long "a bit" of a wait might be? i.e. days, weeks, months?

Great to see the help you've already posted - I'd searched the forum 2 days ago and came up empty but didn't have time to register and post...now I come back and my exact problem is answered at the top of the forum! Thanks so much for this and any further help.

Lewis

Hi, thank you for the explanation, It looks like I need 10.4 in order to download Xcode from apple (right?), so I guess the easy solution would be to get Tiger, which I have been meaning to do anyway. It would be fun to try to compile avrdude myself though! Is there a way to get xcode for 10.3.9? If not then I'll just install 10.4.

Thanks for help and the whole Arduino project,

simon

You can get Xcode for 10.3.9, but you might need to install it from your original 10.3 CD's.

Once you have Xcode installed, and you've downloaded and extracted the avrdude-5.4-arduino-src.tgz file, you just need to open a Terminal (in Applications > Utilities), change to the right directory (e.g. cd ~/Desktop/avrdude-5.4-arduino), then type:

./configure

This will check out your system and configure the rest of the process accordingly. Then type:

make

If all goes well, this will create the avrdude binary and avrdude.conf file. It will probably give you an error about yacc or flex, though. In that case, you need to install bison. Just download it from the GNU site, and do the same thing to install it: extract it, open the terminal, cd to the directory, run ./configure, run make - then run "sudo make install" to install it (you'll have to enter your password). Then try doing a make in the avrdude-5.4-arduino directory again.

Hello-

I am brand new to the forum and Arduino community. Unfortunately, I am also experiencing the exact same error with Mac OSX 10.3.9 + Arduino Diecimila: dyld: tools/avr/bin/avrdude can't open library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I would really like to get everything working properly but the advice you give:

Yea, it means I messed up when I made the PPC distribution of the software.

The PPC laptop I compiled avrdude on was running 10.4. I hoped the binary it generated would also work in 10.3.9, but apparently it doesn't. Short of an upgrade, you'll need to compile avrdude yourself. You can download the source from: http://www.arduino.cc/files/avrdude-5.4-arduino-src.tgz. You'll need to install Xcode (which you can get from Apple's developers site). And you'll probably need bison too: http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/

Or, if that sounds overwhelming and you don't mind waiting a bit, I can try to find a machine or a way to do that for you. Really, I should do that anyway, since I'd like to still support 10.3.9. Unfortunately, I don't have any computers around that are running it, so it's a bit more difficult than it should be.

does sound a bit overwhelming, as I am fairly new to programming...

I'll keep checking in here, or if you could PM me when you find a way to debug that would be great.

Thanks for the support!

-argus

Is anyone willing to give these steps a try? There are clearly enough people affected by this that I need to do something about, but it may be difficult to for me to get working without an install of 10.3.9 (though I'll also give it a shot). It should only require free tools, and not really be that many steps (it sounds worse than it is). I'll be happy to walk to you through it, and of course you'll have my eternal gratitude (which hopefully I can find a way to turn into something a bit more concrete).

I have recompiled the avrdude file succesfully after following your instructions. That is, it works on my computer so I assume it works on everybody elses runing 10.3.9. I did not need to download Bison. Shall I email the file you (mellis)?

Kind regards,

simon

That would be awesome. Can you send the whole folder, source code and compiled executable? dam at mellis dot org

Sure, but what do you mean exactly :0), the avrdude executable and the avrdude conf is in the tools folder, but do you need all the stuff that the terminal printed when I typed make??

Ah, no, I mean the folder with the avrdude source code as well as the executable and configuration. Not the whole tools/ folder or any output from the build process.

Wright. I've sent you an email now. If I've done something wrong notify me...

simon

simon, thanks for compiling the avrdude for 10.3.9!

mellis, I'd love to get a copy from you somehow.

Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Lewis

hey-

I'm still a bit confused on how to "fix" the error we've been getting on about here. simon and/or mellis: it sounds like you figured out how to compile the avrdude; can either of you send info to me?

Sorry if I sound ignorant/incompetent... this is my first attempt at microcontrollers and I really appreciate the help.

As of now, I found an older version of Xcode (1.2) that will work on OSX 10.3.9 from the Apple developers site and it's downloading now. I'll try doing what mellis explained/ or if I hear back from someone else sooner.

Thanks again.

Okay, I uploaded a version of Arduino 0009 that should work under 10.3.9: http://www.arduino.cc/files/arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip

Please try it out and let me know if it works. Also, if someone has a PPC Mac running 10.4, can you try it on that too? If it works, I can make it the standard PPC release.

Many thanks to simon løffler for compiling avrdude.

Success!

The blink example works fine; no error messages at all. Many thanks mellis and simon!

Now it's time to do some interesting things with this board...

-argus

hello, help I download from this link http://www.arduino.cc/files/arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip but I couldn't open this zip file. my finder says Unarchiving....but it just goes forever.

:(

You might try downloading it again. Or unzipped it from the Terminal, e.g.:

cd ~/Desktop
unzip arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip

I’m having trouble unzipping the arduino-0009-mac-ppc.zip file as well. The Finder (actually BOMArchiveHelper) spins forever. Stuffit quits with an error saying "(Tried to position to before start of file). unzip in the Terminal says

Archive: arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: can’t find zipfile directory in one of arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip or
arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip.zip, and can’t find arduino-0009-mac-ppc-10.3.9.zip.ZIP, period.

I tried arduino-0008, and the 10.4 version of arduino 9; and the same thing happened!!! What am I doing wrong? Please help!

err...how embarrassing :-[ For some reason Firefox/my sketchy internet only downloaded part of the file. I redownloaded, and all is well :)