problem uploading the sketch

hi, I have been using a duemilanove from past 3 months, now i tried to make my own duemilanove. Everything looks fine with my hand made board,but i cant upload sketches in linux; in windows, i can upload sketches to my hand made board.what could be the reasons, i checked the avrdude commands, both linux and windows use same and i checked the avrdude.conf file also, i couldn't find any difference among win and linux versions of avrdude.conf

jai hind

Might be a permission problem.

What is the output of:

ls /dev/tty[SU]*

Hi reva,

please look here for a solution to your problem: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201441300#10

MikeT

hi madworm, sorry 4 being late. this is the output of the command u suggested /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1 /dev/ttyS2 /dev/ttyS3 /dev/ttyS4 /dev/ttyS5 /dev/ttyS6 /dev/ttyS7 /dev/ttyUSB0

i dont think permission would be a problem because i open arduino as a root user.

hi mike, I checked, but dint help me.

Hi reva,

There is some information missing. I write down what I understand, please correct the parts which are wrong:

You have two Arduinos: 1. One which you bought readily built and which is working under Windows and under Linux 2. One you built on your own which works under Windows, but not under Linux.

In all cases you are using avrdude directly from the commandline.

MikeT

hi mike, sorry for not being clear earlier, what you have understood is right, i have two arduino duemilanoves, one is readily bought which is fine with both win and lin, the one i have done is only fine with win and not with linux. but i am not using avrdude from command line, i am using Arduino IDE.

Hi reva,

the problem is either linux specific (e.g. different port names, other timing), or hardware specific (e.g. different capacitor / resistor for the auto-reset curcuit).

With the original description I thought you were using avrdude directly which doesn’t support the auto-reset on its own, but the IDE does. So the avrdude patch will not help.

Did you use the Duemilanove 2009 schematic? Have you populated R2 with a 100 Ohm resistor, C13 with a 100 nF capacitor and R1 with a 10kOhm resistor? R2 must not be populated and may cause the described effect.

MikeT

hi mike, i have used the schematic in which there is a jumper to select the power line among USB and DC jack. The old one.

hi mike, i have included the R2, Do you really think removing it, will work?

Hi reva,

i have used the schematic in which there is a jumper to select the power line among USB and DC jack. The old one

So you mean the Diecimila from this page: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila

You can find this important note on the page: "Note that R2 is not mounted and that R3 has been replaced by a 100 nano-farad capacitor."

i have included the R2, Do you really think removing it, will work

Yes! Additionally check if R3 is a capacitor. In the Duemilanove design, the R3 is already a 100 nF capacitor and is named C13.

MikeT

ok mike, i will do all these changes and will get back here