Problem Uploading to Arduino Uno R3

I am having problems trying to run the simplest sketch: Blink. It compiles without errors, but fails to upload. The error messages read:

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM15 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415689/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM15
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I have looked through the various suggestions at
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload without finding anything that has helped. I believe I have set up the board type and port configuration properly to match the info in the tools menu and device manager (The Board is on COM 15 and I have tried a different board on COM 16) :

I find most of the suggestions in the troubleshooting guide confusing and hard to understand. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thank you,
Robert Osness
(REMOVED by mod)

My computer system:

Windows 7 64-Bit Operating System
Processor AMD FX-4350 Processor 4.2 GHz
16 GB RAM
2GB HDD
3GB HDD
500 GB SSD

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1 on your Arduino board. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino board, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu. The ports list is only updated when the Tools menu is re-opened, so this step is essential.
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

And remove your email address from your post unless you are a sucker for spam :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same issue - rather than start another thread I trust it is okay to jump in here? I’ve tried all the trouble-shooting options listed and everything checks out (COM ports, USB cables, pins1&2, correct board selected, etc etc.). The only thing I notice is that when I do reset the UNO-R3 the yellow LED near pin13 does not blink.

So this suggests the bootloader is wiped (might be a power spike as I was upgrading the 12vdc today that supplies a bunch of things including the UNO).

Question: if this is the case how do I check? and can this be easily repeaired/uploaded or is there no point (just buy another as it were?).

Thanks!
vm

@volcanoman

Notice the "0x50" at the end of this line "avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x50"
is that your error ?

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

volcanoman:
can this be easily repeaired/uploaded

Burning the bootloader is certainly possible, but it does often end up being a challenging process for people who haven't done it before. You can check the tutorial here:

Here is a summary of the process:
You will need an ISP programmer. If you don’t have a programmer, you can use a spare Arduino board as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer. Although the "Arduino as ISP" only works for programming targets of the AVR architecture, you can use boards of any architecture as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer.

The following instructions are for using an Arduino board as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer. If you have a dedicated programmer, you can skip to the next set of instructions.

Make the following connections between the Arduino board you will be using as the programmer and the target. Refer to the "Connections" table on the SPI library reference page to determine the pins:

| Programmer | | Target |
| - | - |
| ----------- | |------- |
| MISO | | MISO |
| VCC | | 5V |
| | | (VCC on 3.3 V boards) |
| SCK | | SCK |
| MOSI | | MOSI |
| 10 | | RESET |
| GND | | GND |

Connect the programmer board to your computer with a USB cable.

File > Examples > 11.ArduinoISP > Arduino ISP

Select your programmer board from the Tools > Board menu.

Select the port of your programmer board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sketch > Upload

Wait for the upload to finish.

You are now ready to burn the bootloader using your "Arduino as ISP" programmer.

Instructions for burning the bootloader:

• Connect an ISP programmer to the ICSP header on your Arduino board.
  • Select the target board from the Tools > Board menu and any other custom Tools menus (e.g., Tools > Processor).
  • Select the appropriate programmer from the Tools > Programmer menu.
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader
  • Wait for the process to finish successfully.

volcanoman:
is there no point (just buy another as it were?).

I would be forever suspicious of an Arduino board that had its memory corrupted due to being subjected to electrical conditions outside its rated specs. For me, burning the bootloader is a 30 second operation, so I'd definitely give it a try out of curiosity.

If burn bootloader doesn't help and your Uno has the socketed ATmega328P chip (rather than the SMD Uno style), you may be able to recover it by replacing the ATmega328P. If you don't get one of the ATmega328P with a pre-installed bootloader, you'll need to do a Burn Bootloader after installing the new chip.