Problem uploading to atmega8 .. plz help

When i try to upload my program on to my arduino ATMEGA8 board at a baud rate of 9600 i get the following error: Problem uploading to board avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

my serial port is COM1 any help would be appreciated....tnx

Are you sure it's running at 9600? It looks to me like even the older mega8 platforms used 19200...

Are you using a whole new circuit? (ie, breadboard?) Or do you have an Arduino board with an Atmega8 chip?

Was the board used previous to trying to upload? Have you been able to upload to it ever? You might need to burn a Bootloader onto the chip if you purchased the chip separately.

And you said when you upload at a baud rate of 9600... What do you mean exactly? When you goto upload a sketch in the Arduino IDE, the baudrate is pre-selected to the Bootloader default. ( as suggested above, I believe it was 19200 for the Atmega8 bootloaders)

What about a reset button, or the reset line from the Arduino board?

I had similar problems and troubleshot this for hours. Also spent a lot of time reading this forum. Was getting ready to read-load the boot-loader and discovered that my other Arduino started to get the same message intermittently. Finally needed to solve two problems...

1- When switching back and forth between two Arduinos re-check the USB port. My PC was assigning a different serial port for each board. So double check WHICH USB port you are trying to use before loading. Use TOOLS/SERIAL PORT to view this.

2- I also had unstable power on my USB cable. Switching to a different (powered) USB hub solved the problem. I re-learn this lesson about every 6 months- insufficient or noisy power will cause all sorts of problems like this. When all else fails, try running off a fresh battery just to be sure.

i think thatm arduino is running at 9600...and mine is not a USB port. I use a serial port. And i'm using brand new batteries. So do you ppl think its the problem with my arduino board??? :-/