Problem uploading to board

First timer with an new Uno. I’m trying to upload my first code to the board, just the sample blink code. It’s not working for me. I get this message:

Binary sketch size: 1010 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Help!

BTW - first time coding anything. I believe I have the driver installed correctly. Since I connected the Arduino - with no code yet, the LED blinks on it’s own, each .5 second, 4 times, then a quick flash, repeat.

Start with this... http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/troubleshooting

Thanks - lots of info there. I learned that means my computer is not communicating with the board, don't know why though. BTW, Windows XP v2002, on a PC.

In the device manager, I see it listed as (COM3). Device Status reads "This device is working properly"

Still getting the error described above when I try to upload. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Just two more ideas...

1. Try a different USB cable.

2. Are you using the 0021 IDE?

Another option: In the tools menu one has to select the serial port (even if there is just one) .

I have the same problem as well and ask for solution please.

Ha! Thanks, robtillaart, that was it! Should have been more thorough checking settings. ::)

Thanks , all, for the suggestions. I tried a different cable too, and yes, I'm using v21. Port setting was the trick.

If you have multiple Arduinos and you switch between them most of the time you have to reset the COM port too.