problem uploading

In trying to find what's wrong I loaded the sweep code from the examples. It compiled and while it appears to work it never stopped uploading. I then did the same for Knob. again from the examples and just continued to upload with no apparent effect on the Arduino. There are no error messages and no problem with compilation. This is an Arduino Uno I'm using. I have gone through many pages here looking for a solution. If I am not using this forum correctly please tell me how. I'm not looking to waste anyone's time. I'm just trying to learn. I assure you I am a quick study.

Just a few questions if you dont mind.

What board ? What OS ? What type of USB port / hub ? Which version of the IDE ? What Boards version ?

It is an Arduino Uno operating on Windows 10. I plug directly into a USB port on a one year Dell. I have the latest version of the IDE.

I would like more specifics if you don't mind.

Latest version could mean 1.6.12 OR the "HOURLY" build. ?

What TYPE of USB port USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ?

Which boards version (Located under TOOLS, BOARD, BOARD MANAGER, Arduino AVR Boards) ?

You have 34 posts under your belt so I would expect you to know the ropes a little in giving information here to get help but just in case you may have forgotten take a peek HERE

Also have you disconnected everything from the board and tried a simple example such as BLINK or the loopback test mentioned HERE

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > upload(check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload hangs select ALL the output in the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window and paste it in a message here USING CODE TAGS(</> button on the toolbar).

This AM the uploads did not hang!!?? If it happens again I will follow your instructions. What I get is avrdude done. Thank you. I very much appreciate your reply.

It did hang again and I tried to copy the message in the black area but all it did was copy my code. the messages displayed are: atk500_getsync(): attempt 9 of 10 not in sync resp=0xbb atk500_recv(): programmer not resp