Problem using Arduino ESP8266 to monitor industrial machines

Hi
i am trying to monitor a welder machine in the industry. the monitoring is done using esp8266,Arduino and Current transformer to monitor power line. The device is installed in the welder machine. my problem is when i test the device in my office it work fine , however, when i installed it in the welding machine it gets disconnected a lot at times.sometimes if the device is not connected for a longer time i restart the welding machine and the device comes back on.
the welder machine using 3 phase power supply .I take power from one phase to AC to dc convertor to supply 9v DC to my Arduino.

Any idea why is it during this?
regards

Hi,
Your welder is an excellent source of electromagnetic interference, it will be causing noise on any wiring associated with the arduino.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Can you please post a copy of your sketch, using code tags?
Please use code tags.. See section 7 http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

A picture of how you have installed it will help, as layout will be critical.

Especially how you are obtaining power for the arduino.

Is the project in its own metal box to shield it.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Your welder is an excellent source of electromagnetic interference, it will be causing noise on any wiring associated with the arduino.

Wow, that is VERY true.

I think you will need to put most of the Arduino parts in a metal chassis that is grounded to a common ground point of the welder. You will have to expose the antenna part of the ESP8266 outside the box.

The Arduino power supply ground should go to the metal chassis.

You may have to use bypass capacitors on any wires going in and out of the chassis box.

You are working in a very difficult environment.

Could you measure the current back at the power panel that supplies the welder, and keep the Arduino away from the actual welding arc?

Let us know how it goes...

Early radio communications used spark gap transmitters.

Do you see any similarities with your set up?

Hi,
are you trying to measure the current consumption of the welder, or just to onitir monitor when it is ON or OFF?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

JohnLincoln:
Early radio communications used spark gap transmitters.

Do you see any similarities with your set up?

The ARC Plasma Speaker

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/excelphysics/the-arc-plasma-speaker/description

So:

This is an application for a fibre optic link.

Not WiFi.

Not a real time solution but may give you what you need. While the welder is running just log the data, when the welder shouts off send the data back to the server.

Paul__B:
So:

This is an application for a fibre optic link.

Not WiFi.

I voted it as Plan B.

Use 2.4 Ghz high directional antenna to reduce interference.

at 0,180 degree we have almost no interference.

Eliminate interference from power supply:

Isolated DC/DC Converter after AC to dc convertor which supply 9v DC

terryking228:
I think you will need to put most of the Arduino parts in a metal chassis that is grounded to a common ground point of the welder. You will have to expose the antenna part of the ESP8266 outside the box.

1+

Electromagnetic shielding is the practice of reducing the electromagnetic field in a space by blocking the field with barriers made of conductive or magnetic materials. Shielding is typically applied to enclosures to isolate electrical devices from the 'outside world'.

Hi thanks for reply
will try your suggestions
i have attached few picture to give a better idea
only monitoring when the welder in on/off.
regards

Doc1.pdf (342 KB)