Problem w/ LCD Example project

Hey there, I just recieved an Arduino Duemilenove ATMEGA 326 in the mail and I am LOVING it. I have been through a few sketches and have wanted to try out the LCD example as the kit I purchased came with a 16 x 2 screen. So I wired up teh circuit on the bread board double checked all the pins from the lcd and the potentiometer (which I am assuming is the contrast changer) and the arduino. Uploaded the sketch and all I see on the screen is the top row of boxes if the contrast is turned all teh way up. Now text or anything. Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong. Or could anyone post a picture of the circuit wired up with jumpers on a breadboard, (just to see if i did it wrong) ? Thank you so much guys!

Mark

Posting a picture clearly showing which pin on arduino is connected to which pin on the LCD? Plus, post your code so we know which arduino pin is used for what function with the LCD.

One question, did you solder the LCD to the male headers or wires for a good electrical contact?

You did ground LCD pin 5, didn't you?

Or could anyone post a picture of the circuit wired up with jumpers on a breadboard, (just to see if i did it wrong) ?

Lady Ada has already done that. Check out the tutorial at http://www.ladyada.net/learn/lcd/charlcd.html.

Don

Ok so I checked out lady ada's tutorial and it helped as the schematic I was using was somewhat more complicated.

It work's now! Thanks Guys for your assistance.

Now I just need to become fore familliar with writing the code and it's syntax so I can write strings and delay them being replaced with new strings etc...

UndergroundMark: Ok so I checked out lady ada's tutorial and it helped as the schematic I was using was somewhat more complicated.

It work's now! Thanks Guys for your assistance.

Now I just need to become fore familliar with writing the code and it's syntax so I can write strings and delay them being replaced with new strings etc...

Just post your code for help and comment then. Make sure to describe what your code is supposed to do and what symptoms it is showing instead.

// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12);

void setup() {
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows: 
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
}

void loop() {
  // set the cursor to column 0, line 0
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
   char mystring[16];
    lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  // print the value of mystring and alternate its value
  lcd.print(mystring);
  {
    delay(115);
    mystring = "So, i gotta say";
    delay(115);
    mystring = "that lcds.";
    delay(115);
    mystring = "Really Do.....";
    delay(5000);
    mystring = "Kick Butt!!!!";
  }

}

I really am just looking for a way to store a string in a variable, I want to loop the printing of the variable in the display, and i want to change the string stored in the variable every so often etc…

I would:

const char msg01[]="So, i gotta say";
const char msg02[]="that lcds.";

// more messages

Then in loop

delay(3000);
lcd.setCursor(0,1);
lcd.print(msg01);
delay(3000);
lcd.setCursor(0,1);
lcd.print(msg02);
// More