Problem w/Rainbowduino and 4x4x4 RGB LED Cube

I have a problem with loading the Rainbowduino RGB LED Cube sketch. I've built the cube and have downloaded the latest version of the Rainbowduino RGB LED Matrix Plasma sketch. I've compiled it satisfactorily under Arduino 0022. When I try to upload it to the Rainbowduino, though, I get the following messages:

Binary sketch size: 5824 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I've set the Board as the Arduino Uno and the Serial Port as COM9 (the port assigned to the Seeedstudio UartSB).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, George

I think it will work as Duemilanove - its a design that’s older than the Uno and won’t be using optiboot (which is what board=Uno really means).

What type of bootloader is on the Rainbowduino, if at all? Does the serial port speed match?

And as usual: get a real ISP programmer, forget about bootloaders - they all suck. The Arduino IDE is capable of using these and they just do the job as long as the hardware is not broken. And you can use chips fresh from the factory and don’t have to pay the premium for getting ‘preloaded’ chips. 20-35$ and one will be yours (usbtiny or one from Atmel).

MarkT: I think it will work as Duemilanove - its a design that's older than the Uno and won't be using optiboot (which is what board=Uno really means).

Thanks very much. Setting the board up as Duemilanove worked. I'll keep the optiboot hint in mind from now on.

madworm: And as usual: get a real ISP programmer, forget about bootloaders - they all suck. The Arduino IDE is capable of using these and they just do the job as long as the hardware is not broken. And you can use chips fresh from the factory and don't have to pay the premium for getting 'preloaded' chips. 20-35$ and one will be yours (usbtiny or one from Atmel).

Yes, I need to learn that. I've put the USBtinyISP AVR Programmer Kit on my Adafruit next buy list.